Now my pool question

May 8, 2011
I'm trying to get this pool water right and here are my results today.

Free Chlorine 0.6
Total Chlorine 2.6
Combined chlorine 2.0
pH 7.4
Alk 107
Cyaniric acid 60
Copper 0
Salt 3100ppm

Ok so my question is how does this all look. They said that they had some concern about my chlorine. I didn't really understand what they were saying. My free chlorine is low but my combined chlorine is high and total chlorine is good.

I need to understand the differences between the 3 an what causes combined Chlorine to go higher and lower.

They recommended that I turn my salt generator up to like 25-30% for 24 hours to increase my free chlorine. But what effect will this have on my combined Chkorine and total chlorine.

Does this all make sense.

The CC portion of your Total chlorine is........NOT....a good thing! Should be .5 or less. You need to shock the pool. See pool school article for shocking "process" and the Chlorine/cya chart there to see how low your FC is.

Ok so I went to pool school and I now know why they were worried about my CC level. So if I am in the middle of breaking something down, I increase my salt generator to like 30% for 24 hours. Will that burn my CC level down? I know that my FC level will increase.

The water looks perfect and no chlorined smell.

Should I be worried

I'm going to buy a jug of liquid chlorine right now. Tom what I read my swg is not going to create enough chlorine to shock.

So how do I figure out how much liquid chlorine to add to shock the pool? And what do I do with my swg % during this shocking with liquid chlorine

Just use the link to the pool calculator in pool school. Plug in your gallons and pertinent data........and bring on the bleach. Do the calculating before you run off to buy bleach. You're gonna need more! And you have to hold shock level------not just get there. I'd only run the SWG at night to help hold the shock value if at all.

Use the FC/CYA chart found in Pool School to see what your shock value is. Then, use the pool calculator to tell you how much chlorine to add.

Post back if you have issues with figuring all that out.....we'll help.

Leave your SWG right where it is. Once the Shock process is complete (It is not a one time dose....read Pool School - How to Shock your Pool), you may have to turn down the FC just a little because you will be using less FC than you are now.

EDIT: woodyp beat me to it but I'll post this just to reinforce what he already said.

bosco0633 said:
I was just told to use a product called oxy-out. Does this make sense?
What you need is Sodium Hypochlorite. Call it bleach, chlorinating liquid, liquid shock, it doesn't matter. Anything else is just

[center:2kpgsnwm]
file.php

But highly profitable for the pool store, I'm sure.[/center:2kpgsnwm]

I just went through my pool kit that I got when the pool was installed. I have a 3kg pail. The pail says to add 1kg of oxy-out per 75000 L each week. So how do I shock this to bring my 2.0CC down to zero?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
From what I have read on here, is turn off your SWG and just shock using bleach or liquid chlorine. Once you get done shocking and the levels come down some you will turn back on the SWG. Because when you are shocking the SWG will not be able to keep up. This will help save the cell in the SWG.

mynewpool said:
From what I have read on here, is turn off your SWG and just shock using bleach or liquid chlorine. Once you get done shocking and the levels come down some you will turn back on the SWG. Because when you are shocking the SWG will not be able to keep up. This will help save the cell in the SWG.

Yep! :goodjob:

Listening to our advice and then listening to the pool store advice confuses you, confuses us, and the pool store may already have been confused anyway. Pick your poison, but only listen to one set of instructions or you will stay muddled and never understand how to manage your pool.

If you choose to follow the advice here, I think you should put the Oxy-out on the shelf and disregard it.

Stick with chlorine so you won't be confused as to what you are trying to accomplish.

I appreciate all the advice and take what I can get from everyone. I have spent the past 4 hours reading various sites trying to grasp an understanding of pool chemistry. I trust the pool store and yes chemicals are costly but I'm new to this and need to understand.

Things that I have learned today...

1. Pool school taught me differences between FC CC and TC.
2. When CC is high I need to shock. This site recommends bleach and my dealer recommends oxy-out. Obvious cost involved for dealer. However I have read that liquid chlorine and bleach cause ph to drop also effecting Alk. Oxy does not cause this to happen. I have also read that bleach and liquid chlorine can cause staining and fading on the vinyl liners.
3. Both ways are effective in reducing CC however both ways are not cost effective

Now with this said I added 1kg of oxy to my pool tonight. I read the oxy works best with a FC of 3ppm so I increased my salt to 50% for the night then I will reduce it to 15%.

I am not sure if this one treatment will reduce my CC from 2.0 to under 0.5 or if I will need to do this multiple times. I am also thinking that if I raise my CYA from 60 to 80 this will assist in keeping a FC reading of 3 or 4. Then with a higher FC level my CC should effectively drop

From my readings SW pools can exist without shocking as long as you maintain it properly. So pools school charts suggest 70cya and 3FC or 80cya and 4FC. If that is maintained I should never need to shock because swg when converting at these levels eliminate CC.

But how and the heck do I figure out what % my generator needs to be at. When we don't use the pool 15% created a FC reading of 6ppm so dropping to 10% dropped me to 1.3. Then if family uses pool at 10% then by end of week I'm under 1ppm of FC. Recommendations?

bosco0633 said:
2. When CC is high I need to shock. This site recommends bleach and my dealer recommends oxy-out. Obvious cost involved for dealer. However I have read that liquid chlorine and bleach cause ph to drop also effecting Alk. Oxy does not cause this to happen. I have also read that bleach and liquid chlorine can cause staining and fading on the vinyl liners.
You are correct, when CC's are high you need to shock.

Liquid chlorine will not cause the pH to drop. It is basically pH neutral. It raises the pH a little when added but then lowers it a little as it's used up so it's basically a pH neutral event.

If you soaked the liner with concentrated bleach or liquid chlorine it would fade it but so would the chlorine produced by your swcg if you got it concentrated enough. By pouring the bleach in front of a running return there will be no adverse effects to your liner.

If you don't believe us about anything else, believe us about this. Shocking isn't a dump something in one time and call it good event. It's raise the FC to shock level and hold it there until you lose 1 ppm FC or less overnight & have .5 ppm CC or less & the water is clear process. The time it takes varies greatly but it's hardly ever a one time event.

Not just an swcg pool, but any pool that's maintained correctly never needs shocking. I use bleach and have never shocked my pool. The way to maintain requires a good test kit and good test results. Depending on the pool store to test once a week or so isn't good practice.

You figure out how to adjust your swcg by testing your FC every day for awhile and making adjustments to keep the FC in range for your CYA. You may have to adjust the percentage and the runtime to get exactly where you need to be.

This is what I recommend. Take the advice given here. First of all it is free, second of all the people here have been out this a lot longer than the pool store has.

The only thing you can trust the pool store for is for them to take your hard earned money and give mostly incorrect advice.

Why do you feel you trust the pool store more than this site? Is it because you can physically talk to someone. I would say until you start taking the advice here, you will always be at the pool store. Taking the advice here, you can do that in the comfort of your own home.

But whatever you do good luck, and if you rely on the pool store rather than the advice here, have mercy on your soul and bank account.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.