Switching from Salt system back to chlorine tablets...HELP

Kylef

Jun 19, 2011
I have had a salt system on my pool for the past 4 years. It has been replaced 4 times due to failure. I have had it and I am switching back to chlorine tablets. I had a guy tell me at the pool store that to do this I will have to drain at least half of the water out of the pool and refill it with fresh water before switching to chlorine tablets. can anyone offer any advice? is this true? what do I need to do to switch back to chlorine? has anyone done this before?

Thank you

Re: Switching from Salt system back to chlorine tablets...HE

The pool store is probably worried about your CYA level. For the SWG the CYA level should have already been as high as you should ever let CYA get. Using tablets will continuously add more CYA to the pool. As daddybug said, all you need to do is watch your CYA level. But at the same time, I expect CYA to require attention/lowering fairly soon.

Just a second, guys. There's truth to what the pool store is saying because of the CYA.

His SWG pool probably carries a CYA of 70-80 and switching to pucks will drive it above 100 very quickly.

So, yes, reduce the CYA to around 40 or so (by draining 1/2 the pool) and then you can use pucks the rest of the season.

The alternative is to switch to liquid chlorine and live with the current CYA.

No, but using liquid chlorine won't add more CYA, and you can learn to live with your CYA at its current level. Of course right now this is all speculation, a good set of test numbers would help. It is even possible you've been running on little or no CYA and that is what contributed to your salt cell's continuing problems.

Find out what your cya is right now and go from there. If you can handle keeping your FC at the levels the pool calculator recommends for the season w/your cya where it is by using liquid chlorine go for it. If you're set on using pucks, do the testing first, but I'm guessing you're going to have to drain to get your cya levels down or they will get too high quickly.

I am curious as to why 4 SWG systems failed. If the CYA level was too low, the unit would never keep up the needed levels of chlorine. If the ph were too high, due to TA high maybe, then the water would be harsh and possibly damage equipment or the cell I am guessing. What else could go wrong? High CH causing scaling? Hit by lightning? Chewed by the dog? Just wondering.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.