Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Switching from Salt system back to chlorine tablets...HELP

1. Back To Top    #1

Switching from Salt system back to chlorine tablets...HELP

I have had a salt system on my pool for the past 4 years. It has been replaced 4 times due to failure. I have had it and I am switching back to chlorine tablets. I had a guy tell me at the pool store that to do this I will have to drain at least half of the water out of the pool and refill it with fresh water before switching to chlorine tablets. can anyone offer any advice? is this true? what do I need to do to switch back to chlorine? has anyone done this before?

Thank you

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Switching from Salt system back to chlorine tablets...HE

Garbage... Just start adding tabs and watch your CYA

3. Back To Top    #3

At least they didn't try to sell you a whole new pool!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

The pool store is probably worried about your CYA level. For the SWG the CYA level should have already been as high as you should ever let CYA get. Using tablets will continuously add more CYA to the pool. As daddybug said, all you need to do is watch your CYA level. But at the same time, I expect CYA to require attention/lowering fairly soon.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

Just a second, guys. There's truth to what the pool store is saying because of the CYA.

His SWG pool probably carries a CYA of 70-80 and switching to pucks will drive it above 100 very quickly.

So, yes, reduce the CYA to around 40 or so (by draining 1/2 the pool) and then you can use pucks the rest of the season.

The alternative is to switch to liquid chlorine and live with the current CYA.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

So is there a way to lower CYA short of draining half of the water? Now I'm confused.

7. Back To Top    #7

No, but using liquid chlorine won't add more CYA, and you can learn to live with your CYA at its current level. Of course right now this is all speculation, a good set of test numbers would help. It is even possible you've been running on little or no CYA and that is what contributed to your salt cell's continuing problems.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Find out what your cya is right now and go from there. If you can handle keeping your FC at the levels the pool calculator recommends for the season w/your cya where it is by using liquid chlorine go for it. If you're set on using pucks, do the testing first, but I'm guessing you're going to have to drain to get your cya levels down or they will get too high quickly.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

9. Back To Top    #9

I am curious as to why 4 SWG systems failed. If the CYA level was too low, the unit would never keep up the needed levels of chlorine. If the ph were too high, due to TA high maybe, then the water would be harsh and possibly damage equipment or the cell I am guessing. What else could go wrong? High CH causing scaling? Hit by lightning? Chewed by the dog? Just wondering.
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

10. Back To Top    #10

Which brand of Salt System?
    poolschoolgrad

20x40 free-form IG vinyl, 1hp Hayward superpump, Hayward pro grid DE filter, Raypak heatpump, Goldline Aquarite SWCG, Polaris 280 with booster, and tested using a Taylor K2006.