Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trying to figure out head pressure. Convert to 2 speed motor

1. Back To Top    #1

Trying to figure out head pressure. Convert to 2 speed motor

I've posted some pictures on another post of my piping setup.

Trying to figure out Head Pressure.

With a new filter my system is showing a 2.5 PSI.

I'm getting what I consider good flow.

All piping in 1.5 inches.
    Main drain and Skimmer feed input to pump.

return line has 2 tees. first Tee feeds 1.5 inch line that feeds 2- deep end returns the other side of the 2 feeds 2 gate valves that feed 1.5 in line that feeds 2 returns each. They have lower flow the further they are from the pump. (Makes sense, longer runs= greater resistance.)

Can I swap out the motor and put in a 115V two speed pump. My system is set up for 115V. What motor would you go with? Or should I replace the whole pump?
    This is the motor that is currently installed:

Would it be worth changing out to a 2 speed motor? I don't have water features and I manually vac the pool.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Trying to figure out head pressure. Convert to 2 speed m

Unless your electric rates are really high, it is almost never worth switching out a working pump purely on the basis of financial savings. You could easily switch the motor for a two speed motor, but it will usually take a very long time for the electrical savings to pay back the cost of the upgrade.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Trying to figure out head pressure. Convert to 2 speed m

Got ya. If it isn't broke don't fix it.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida