Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Purple water??

1. Back To Top    #1

Purple water??

Just put up the pool, fresh will with well water. I only have the HTH test kit, pH is 7.8 and CL is 3.0 as of a couple of hours ago. I know from previous pools we have metal in the water, last year a fresh fill was tinged green after initial shock, used metal out, a bit of DE through the skimmer and within a few days crystal clear. Yesterday, water was slighty milky, ran filter 24 hours since yesterday morning, added metal out. This morning the water is clear but tinged purple....help??
    Intex Metal Frame AG 18' x 48" approx 7,600 gallons
    Intex cartridge filter, 2500 gal/hr

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Purple water??

Welcome to TFP!

Manganese in the water can cause a purple color. All you should need to do is to add a bit more sequestrant (metal out).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

My kids would think purple water was awesome! Does the Manganese in the water hurt anything?
    POOL: Intex ultra new in 2014 (32 x 16 x 52) (seasonal; on concrete pad covered with 1.5" extruded or whatever foam insulation sheets - ugly, but comfy); added a through-wall skimmer; I add salt for feel. EQUIPMENT: Pentair SuperFlo pump (1HP, 2SPD); Pentair cartridge filter (200 sq. ft); Pentair MasterTemp natural gas heater (400,000 btu) Climate/Location: Eastern Nebraska

4. Back To Top    #4

Like other metals, it can cause stains which are difficult to remove.

If you think brightly colored water is cool, try Party Pool.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School