Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: filter just shot a brown cloud into pool after vacking

1. Back To Top    #1

filter just shot a brown cloud into pool after vacking

Hi Everybody

I just got my pool pretty clear, I vacuumed to waste, turned off the filter, switched it back over to filter, turned the filter back on, and it shot an enormous brown cloud into the pool for about 5 seconds. What does this mean?

thanks
    Andy
    24 ft. Round AG
    Hayward Matrix Pump 1.5
    Hayward Sand Filter
    Central PA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: filter just shot a brown cloud into pool after vacking

The most common reason for that to happen is if you were vacuuming with the filter set to backwash, instead of filter.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

I was vacuuming to waste (not backwash) - I had a lot of fine silt at the bottom. After being done vacuuming I disconnected it and turned the filter back on to filter mode and a giant brown cloud shot out of it.

Does this mean I should backwash the filter, the pressure is at about 20... it stays typically between 17 and 25
    24 ft. Round AG
    Hayward Matrix Pump 1.5
    Hayward Sand Filter
    Central PA

4. Back To Top    #4

Did you switch to rinse for 30 seconds before going back to filter? Very fine silt can pass right through the filter, and there could have been a fair amount of silt still in the piping when you switched back to filter. Rinse clears out anything in the pipes.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

No, I didn't.
    I switched it right back to filter.
    Ughh.
    At least I know now.
    Thanks
    24 ft. Round AG
    Hayward Matrix Pump 1.5
    Hayward Sand Filter
    Central PA