Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Consistently rising pH

1. Back To Top    #1

Consistently rising pH

Over the last month the pH in my pool has been consistently rising to the point where I need to add Dry Acid on a weekly basis. My numbers are below:

• FC/CC: 3.5/0
      TA: 100
      CH: 200
      pH: 8.2

I live in the Northeast where we have had some rain but I don't think it's been more than in past seasons and I don't remember having this issue before. Any ideas why this happening and any ways to prevent it?
    25K Gal, IG gunite, Hayward 1HP pump, Hayward DE filter, Pentair Mastertemp 250, TF100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Consistently rising pH

Rising PH is almost always due to higher than ideal TA levels. If you bring your TA level down to around 70, PH increases should stop, or at least slow down dramatically.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

It is not that unusual to have to lower pH once a week. You can try lowering your TA as this should help buffer the pH rise to a certain degree. here is the process...

pool-school/lowering%20total%20alkalinity

Switiching to muriatic acid would probably help your case as well.

4. Back To Top    #4

Lower PH to 7.4 with Muratic acid which will also lower TA. TA at 100 is a bit high if you are using Bleach or a saltwater generator for chlorination and may be causing your PH to rise.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks all. I thought 100 TA was good, guess not. So it sounds like I want to lower ph to around 7.0-7.2 and then aerate to raise ph. One more question though when I enter all this into the pool calculator it tells me to add 100oz of dry acid but at the bottom it says 100oz will only lower ph by something like .67. Which is correct?
    25K Gal, IG gunite, Hayward 1HP pump, Hayward DE filter, Pentair Mastertemp 250, TF100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

If your pH is 8.2 and you want to lower it to 7.4 with dry acid, then I calculate using the Pool Calculator that you will need 69 oz. of dry acid to get it there.

7. Back To Top    #7

We prefer MA over dry acid, especially when lowering TA as it add sulfates over time.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by dmanb2b
    We prefer MA over dry acid, especially when lowering TA as it add sulfates over time.
    On top of the fact that it is cheaper and easier to dose as well.

9. Back To Top    #9

Does anybody have any suggestions on where to get Muratic Acid online? My local leslie's store does not carry it and their website says it's sold in the store only. I see a lot of pool company websites that sell pH reducers that they claim are "better than Muratic Acid" but can't find any that sell actual Muratic Acid. Any suggestions? I have been using Dry Acid instead but given the thread above wanted to switch and try out the MA....thanks!

10. Back To Top    #10

Radiation, HD and Lowes sell MA.
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

11. Back To Top    #11

Most of the big box stores have it but it may not be in the pool section it may be in the paint section or the cleaning section.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit