Help and Advice on Solar Panel main line route

Renron

May 18, 2010
Placerville , Ca.
I have an in ground 17,000 ga. plaster pool. It has in floor cleaning (not my choice) and a "moat" water feature.
I would like to put solar panels on my roof but the house has hip roofs everywhere. In my photo there are 2 possible "input" routes. One in Blueand one in Green. Red is heated outputThe Blue input would have to rise over a ridge then drop ~8 feet to the input manifold. (no way for it to drain after the pump shuts down at the end of the day) Not the best scenario for many reasons. I'm not concerned about freezing as I will control that separately.
The Green input could travel below the solar array and enter the input manifold from a lower point, however it would take ~ (9) 90* elbows to get the water there and doesn't look as nice. It would however allow the panel array to drain when the pump is shut off.
Input is welcome and criticism is accepted. Any Ideas or work arounds? Because of the # of vent stacks and roof penetrations I am limited to the area in Yellow for my panel placement. Also it's South South East facing.
Thank you for your help,
Ron

I would go with the green route. Going up and down and up again, as the blue route does, is inviting problems. The other choice would be to split the panels into two clumps, which should allow you to raise them higher on the roof so they are on either side of the chimney, with the feed just clearing the hip roof. But that has it's own disadvantages.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.