new heater pipes,pump and chlorinator installation

Jan 3, 2010
Claremont california
Hello friends,
I am planning in updating my pump and also add an aqua-rite chlorinator. Since my old pipes were designed very poorly by the previous owner, i also decided to also change the layout of them. I am replacing the valves. But, before I continue I wanted to make sure that the pipe diameter I am planning in using is the correct one.
Facts:
 28k kidney shape pool
 S. Cal location
 40k Aqua-rite chlorinator
 4048 Pentair d.E. Filter
 Pentair 011018 IntelliFlo variable speed
 1 ½ copper lines underground (cannot be change)
option 1: 2 inch lines for both in and out.
Option 2: Keep the in 2 inches. And the out 1 ½ .
I am in a budget so I do not know if going 2 inches in and out will be all that efficient. Specially, since i will mainly be running the pump at very low speeds.
I am looking to save about 100.00 if i keep option 2. Is it worth it going this route?
Please advice,
George

If I follow correctly, you are only changing the pipes on the equipment pad. The difference between 1 1/2" and 2" pipes on the equipment pad is very small. Generally the price difference is also very small, so it is worth going to 2", but if you can save some money by using smaller pipes everything will still work just fine.

The big efficiency gains are from replacing the long underground pipe runs with 2" pipe, but that is obviously way way more money.

JasonLion said:
If I follow correctly, you are only changing the pipes on the equipment pad. The difference between 1 1/2" and 2" pipes on the equipment pad is very small. Generally the price difference is also very small, so it is worth going to 2", but if you can save some money by using smaller pipes everything will still work just fine.

The big efficiency gains are from replacing the long underground pipe runs with 2" pipe, but that is obviously way way more money.

Thanks for getting back to me so fast :-D .

I am installing a new 8 speed pump and a salt chlorinator. My main concern is the pipes coming out of the heater. Since my heater only takes copper pipes it could be kind of expensive to go from my current 1 1/2 to 2" Also, I would need to buy new 2" connecting seals and copper to pvc fittings. If upgrading to 2" is a must for this install, I am will do it. But, if the upgrade will not make a big difference then I think is not worth it.

Thanks for the help, and I value for excellent advice,
George

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.