Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Does this seem right?

1. Back To Top    #1

Does this seem right?

I still can't seem to get a handle on stabilizing my FC levels. My routine is -
    dusk - check FC & add chlorine to bring to shock level; recheck FC 1 hour later
    dawn - check FC (I usually don't add chlorine during the day because it is still high, but has also dropped several ppm overnight)

Here are the FC readings from the past several days -
    Tues.
    7:00 pm - 6.5
    9:00 pm - 25 (after adding chlorine a little above shock level)
    6:00 am - 19.5

Wed.
    7:00 pm - 11
    9:00 pm - 23.5 (after adding chlorine a little above shock level)
    6:00 am - 17

Thurs.
    7:00 pm - 10
    9:00 pm - 35.5 (tried the goal for Mustard Algae hoping to speed things up)
    6:00 am - 27.5

Friday
    7:00 pm - 12.5
    9:00 pm - 23 (after adding chlorine a little above shock level)
    6:00 am - 21

Sat.
    7:00 pm - 9.5
    Waiting now to check current level in a couple of hours

Here are my other levels:
    CC - 0
    pH - 7.5
    TA - 90
    CYA - 45
    Clear water

Just when I think I am getting close there is either a big drop overnight or during the day. I understand that there will be substantial FC loss during the day due to the sun, but mine seem to be bigger drops than would be expected. Am I doing what I need to? Is there something I have missed? Sure would appreciate some input.
    16 x 32 x 54" AG buried 2', Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Hayward 15922S Power Flo Matrix pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Does this seem right?

The daytime chlorine loss is expected and appears normal. The higher your starting FC level, the more chlorine you will lose.

The overnight loss is puzzling. Are you sure that you are doing the test consistently? It is important to fill the sample tube to the same level, add a little extra powder when the FC level is expected to be high, to hold the dropper bottle vertically, to squeeze drops out slowly so they fall naturally and don't get "sprayed" out, and to perform the test relatively quickly.

One thing to try would be to do the test twice in a row, to make sure that you are able to get repeatable numbers on water that is the same.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Karen, are you trying to clear the water in your pool or is it already clear?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks Dave and JasonLion for your responses. The water is clear and has been all along. I feel like I have been doing the test consistently, but will try adding extra powder and doing two tests in a row. I'll post results tomorrow, I hope you will check back.
    16 x 32 x 54" AG buried 2', Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Hayward 15922S Power Flo Matrix pump

5. Back To Top    #5

OK, I checked the FC level twice last night a couple of hours after adding bleach -
    #1 - 21
    #2 - 18
    I did them exactly the same

This morning early, I checked FC again -
    #1 - 17
    #2 - 18
    Again I did them exactly the same way.

I'm hoping the relatively small drop overnight is consistent over the next few days. Does that sound right? Thanks so much for your help and input.

6. Back To Top    #6

I am inclined to believe that the FC level held steady at 18 overnight and the variations are some kind of testing error.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Thanks JasonLion. I'm hoping that too.