League City - Final Pool Specs - Advice?

mtgans

May 23, 2011
We plan on signing on the dotted line soon. Here are our final specs, after making some alterations to the original. We are first-time pool builders, so I want to make sure we get all the advice we can from people who have have been down this road. Thanks in advance for any insight you can give.
GENERAL SPECIFICAT IONS:

POOL SIZE: 21' X 26' X 40'
POOL DEPTH: 3�6" X 8'0"
AREA OF POOL: 685 Sq. Ft.
PERIMETER: 115�

SPA SPECIFICATIONS:

SPA SIZE: 6' X 9' ID � WITH SPLIT LEVEL SEATING
SPA SHAPE: FREEFORM
RAISED: 12" WITH FLAGSTONE TERRACED SPILLWAY

MECHANICAL EQUIPMENT:

FILTER: Pentair Quad DE Filter
POOL PUMP: Pentair 4 x 160 Variable Speed Pump
WATERFEATURE PUMP: Pentair Whisperflo 1.0 HP
VALVES: Never Lube Valves � Multi Port Valves - Backwash Line
SKIMMERS: 2 ea. Tan Skimmers
POOL LIGHTS: Pentair Intellibrite LED � GFCI Protected Lights
MAIN DRAINS: Dual Anti-Vortex
INLETS: 6 ea (5 in Pool and 1 in Spa)
CLEANER: Pentair Letro Legend with � HP Booster Pump
TIMER: Wireless Easy Touch 8 Controller
CHLORINATOR: Pentair Intellichor IC 40 Salt Generator
HEATER: Pentair 400,000 BTU Master-Temp Heater
AIR BLOWER: Silencer 2 HP Air Blower
SPA LIGHT: Pentair Intellibrite LED � GFCI Protected Light
SPA JETS: 6 ea

STRUCTURAL POOL SPECIFICATIONS:

BEAM: 4 Bar Box Beams #4 Bar
WALLS / FLOORS: #3 Bar 6" X 6" On Center
GUNITE: 6 To 1 Cement To Sand Ratio
GUNITE (BEAM): 12"
GUNITE (FLOORS): 9" With Weep Holes
STEPS / BENCHES: Per Plan

PLUMBING SPECIFICATIONS:

2" SUCTION, SEPARATE LINES, SEPARATE VALVES / PVC SCHEDULE 40 ON ALL POOL PIPING PVC SCHEDULE 80 ON ALL PUMP CONNECTIONS

ELECTRICAL AND GAS:

ALL ELECTRICAL AND 30' OF GAS INCLUDED (METER BY OWNER)

TILE / COPING AND INTERIOR SPECIFICATIONS:

COPING: Natural Select Flagstone
TILE: Standard Waterline Tile
INTERIOR FINISH: Diamond Brite Cat I Quartz
TRIM TILE ON STEPS & BENCHES: Customer Selection

DECK SPECIFICATIONS:

DECK AREA: 1085 Sq Ft
DECK TYPE: Spray Decking
STEEL SPECS: # 3 Bar - 16" OC
THICKNESS: 4"

POOL MAINTENANCE EQUIPMENT:

MAINTENANCE POLE: 8� To 16� Telescoping Pole
VACUUM HEAD: 12" Deluxe Vacuum Head
VACUUM HOSE: 35� Deluxe Vacuum Hose
WALL BRUSH: Heavy Duty Wall Brush
LEAF NET: Deep Net Skimmer
TEST KIT: Deluxe 4-Part Kit

MISCELLANEOUS:

START-UP CHEMICALS D.E. WHERE APPLICABLE, ACID, STABILIZER, CHLORINE TABS, SHOCK, ALGAECIDE (Salt added 30 days after pool is plastered)

INCLUDED OPTIONS:

6" O.C. STEEL
3 TON MOSS ROCK WATERFALL
29' OF MOSS ROCK WEEPING WALL WITH 3 WEEPERS
MOSS ROCK PLANTER
1ST STEP TANNING LEDGE WITH UMBRELLA ANCHOR AND FLAGSTONE STAR
SEAL FLAGSTONE COPING AND MOSS ROCK
LED LIGHTING IN POOL AND SPA
SEPARATE WATERFEATURE PUMP
SPLIT LEVEL SEATING IN SPA WITH 6 JETS
UMBRELLA ANCHORS IN DECKING
FILL LINE AND OVERFLOW LINE
CUSTOM STEPS AND BENCHES
FINAL CLEAN UP OF JOBSITE SAND ADDED AND GRADED
LABEL ALL POOL PLUMBING
START UP CLASS
SPRAY DECKING ON EXISTING CONCRETE PATIO
6' SR SMITH DIVING BOARD WITH STAND
25' OF FLAGSTONE INSERTS INCLUDED (TO BE ADDED AT DECKING STAGE)
ADDITIONAL BENCH ON SIDE OF SPA (TO BE ADDED LATER)

WARRANTY INFORMATION:

LIFE TIME STRUCTURAL WARRANTY * 1 YEAR WARRANTY ON ALL WORKMANSHIP* THREE YEAR (PARTS) MANUFACTURES WARRANTY ON PENTAIR PUMPS AND EQUIPMENT AND ONE YEAR (PARTS) ON AIR SUPPLY EQUIPMENT

ITEMS NOT INCLUDED IN THIS PROPOSAL:

ADDITIONAL MATERIALS OR LABOR DUE TO POOR SOIL CONDITIONS OR WATER TABLE
UNKNOWN DEBRIS OR TREE STUMPS IN AREAS OF EXCAVATION
REROUTES OF ANY TYPE (SEWER, SEPTIC, GAS, ELECTRIC, PHONE, CABLE)
REPAIRS TO UNDERGROUND UTILITIES OR SPRINKLER LINES
REPAIRS TO SIDEWALK, SOD OR DRIVEWAY FOR ACCESS OF EXCAVATION MACHINES
LARGER GAS METER OR PROPANE TANKS � HOOK UP TO PROPANE TANKS
POTS OR PLANTERS
ADDITIONAL ELECTRICAL SERVICE
LANDSCAPING
PATIO FURNITURE
FENCING
DRAIN LINE RAN TO STREET
APPLICANCES FOR OUTDOOR KITCHEN
TREE REMOVAL
PIERS PER ENGINEER SPECIFICATIONS

CUSTOMERS RESPONSIBILITY:

ATTEND PRE-CONSTRUCTION MEETING
MAKE ALL GATES, FENCES AND DOORS SWIMMING CODE COMPLIANT
PICK OUT TILE, COPING, PLASTER AND DECKING CHOICES IN A TIMELY MANNER
WATER GUNITE TWICE DAILY FOR 10 DAYS
MANAGE WATER AT POOL FILL
BRUSH PLASTER TWICE DAILY FOR 10 DAYS
HELP MAINTAIN CONSTRUCTION BARRIER DURING TIME OF CONSTRUCTION
MAKE ALL PAYMENTS PER CONTRACT SCHEDULE

Welcome to TFP!

That sounds like it is going to be a nice pool. The equipment selection looks great, surprisingly good actually. The only thing that caught my eye was the flagstone terraced spillway. Flagstone doesn't always do very well around salt water.

Thanks for the reply! Any suggestion on what we should use other than flagstone for the spa? We are using flagstone for the coping. This pool builder said he will seal the flagstone. We really like the look. I am really nervous, though, from all I have been reading about salt water and flagstone problems. He said we need to use Oklahoma flagstone. We are going for the lagoon look, with the waterfall and moss rock weeping wall and flagstone coping.

I am so glad to hear that the equipment is good. I want something that will be efficient.

One thing I wasn't sure of that I have read lately said you need plenty of returns. I am not sure what those are, but I know that there is nothing listed on his proposal as far as returns go. On a pool this size, with the tanning ledge, how many returns should we need?

mtgans said:
One thing I wasn't sure of that I have read lately said you need plenty of returns. I am not sure what those are, but I know that there is nothing listed on his proposal as far as returns go. On a pool this size, with the tanning ledge, how many returns should we need?

I believe the number of returns is itemized in your qoute, just with different terminolgy:

INLETS: 6 ea (5 in Pool and 1 in Spa)

I'm certaintly not a pool builder, but from everything I've seen and read, 5 returns on a pool of that size should be more than sufficient.

There are many different kinds of flagstone. Some of them are fine, others have problems. It sounds like the builder is aware of the issues and has selected something appropriate.

As mx702 said, inlets are another word for returns.

Okay, great. Thanks for letting me know about the inlets. I had no idea that was one and the same. Sounds like I am covered as far as having plenty. I am so glad I found this forum! It is great to get advice from those knowledgable on the subject of pools. It will
Make signing our contract much less stressful understanding and getting confirmation from others in regards to making sure we have everything we need and are not forgetting anything. As far as the flagstone, I am just keeping my fingers crossed that we won't have problems. I am hoping sealing it will help. I appreciate tremendously the input!

If there is a reason to suspect a high water table, non virgin soil, or heavy clay content soil, get a soils engineer's report before you dig. Then piers, drywells, etc... can be planned and budgeted for. Finding out after you start digging always costs more than the report. Forewarned is forearmed.

#3 with 6" spacing? #4 with 12" should be less money and plenty strong.

Gunite or shotcrete? What strength will be used?

The VS has replaced the 4x160 which was renamed the VS-3050. Pentair simply removed the SVRS function in the controller of the VS-SVRS. It now has internal timers and 8 presettable speeds and the LCD panel.

I suggest up sizing the cell to an IC-60.

Get a good vac head. Expect the one they give you to have a plastic neck and plastic axles. It won't last. Look for one with a swiveling metal neck and ball bearing wheels. A pro grade 18" is a bit pricey but worth it!

A similar situation for the brush. Get one with a metal neck and spine. The all plastics snap.

Get a 40' hose. It will be easier to maneuver when it is furthest from the skimmer.

I didn't see a skimming net.

Get a better test kit. The 4 way won't cut it.

I suggest adding a Rainbow 320 tab feeder for startup and backup use.

I didn't see an automation system.

Scott

You have plenty of returns in the pool, but only 1 in the spa sounds like a problem to me.

If it is a typically sized return, then the water flow through it will be lower and your spa will not heat up as quickly. I would say you need at least 2 returns to the spa to achieve a respectable GPM rate to utilize a 400k BTU heater. You have the heater, might as well use it.

Over time, especially with lots of trees in the yard, and freezing temps in a colder climate (if that is where you are) can increase the risk of cracked return lines. I would ask your pool builder about running separate PVC lines to each return and connecting them together at a central manifold location near the pool equipment. Burried below ground would be good for freeze protection, but you should know where it is and be able to dig it up if needed. This way if something happens to one of your return lines you can isolate it and cap it off and the pool still works (less one return).

You don't need to do this, but if it was MY pool.....
I would have an extra return installed with a dedicated line back to the pool equipment where you could hook up various geeky pool equipment such as a Triopure, ozone injector, airation injector or 24 hour recirculation pump on a UV light, etc.....but that is just because I like messing with that stuff.

Make sure your deck is large enough to accommodate a reel to roll up a solar cover should you decide on one in the future.

I would consider solar heat as a supplement if feasible in your location and budget.

Nothing wrong with a DE filter, but not my preference. DE is carcinogenic if you inhale it. You have to lug it home from the pool store in 25 pound boxes. Whenever you backwash that stuff goes down the drain and you have to add more. And every once in a while you have to disassemble the entire filter and clean the sludge out of it. My preference would be the largest cartridge filter you can get. I clean mine twice a year and forget about it the rest of the time.

Keep in mind a LifeTime structural warranty is great, however, pool builders frequently come and go so no guarantee they will be around down the road.

I'm a big believer in a dedicated pool fence, even if your yard is fenced. Safety first!

Good luck. Going to be a great pool!

Thanks so much for all of your input and insights and for taking the time to look over our bid. We have taken all of our final questions and questions gleaned from your input to our builder and have now made all of our final decisions! I feel so much more confident after having gotten so much help and information from this forum. It is fantastic and I visit it daily! We signed on the dotted line with the pool builder today and are really excited about getting started....anxious about the building part, but excited about the final outcome, our own backyard oasis!:) I have always wanted a pool and never thought I would ever get one. I will definitely start a thread on our build process when we get started...hopefully in a couple of weeks after permits are approved. And to add to the excitement of today, League City finally got some rain today!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.