Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: CC Keeps Climbing After Shock

1. Back To Top    #1

CC Keeps Climbing After Shock

Had pool perfect and then power was off to my house for a week. finally got the pump back on a few days ago but haven't been able to get chemicals back on track yet. Have shocked pool last three nights as well as had chlorine tab feeder running. Combined Chlorine keeps rising. It was 2 on Friday and now 3.5 today. Pool is clear, just not sure how to the CC level back down to .5

Current Readings:

FC 2
    CC 3.5
    pH 7.8
    T/A 120
    CH 270
    CYA 0

I know I need to add stabilizer, but any other suggestions would be appreciated. Also, pool should be safe to swim in, correct as FC is ok even though a little on the low side?

Thanks for any advice.
    Michael, 35,000 Gallon, Inground, Vinyl Liner, Pentair CCP 520 Cartridge Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry
    Sebring, Florida

Re: CC Keeps Climbing After Shock

Read "How to shock your Pool" up in Pool School. I recommend you follow that procedure and that will get rid of your CC's (which you need to do.

I would also put in enough CYA to get to 20-30ppm before shocking so the sun doesn't burn off ALL your FC.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    South Carolina

No, you don't want to swim in your water. As Dave said, you need to shock, but get CYA in there at the same time.

Your shock level is 10 for now.

24 hours after your CYA dissolves, increase your shock level based on the amount of CYA you added.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. Will follow advice. Much appreciated.
    Michael, 35,000 Gallon, Inground, Vinyl Liner, Pentair CCP 520 Cartridge Filter