Hayward Super Pump SP2615X20 with XP2605X7 housing

Jun 14, 2011
Hi,

I'm new to TFP and found people here are very helpful. I like to get advises from knowledgeable people here.

My filter pump is Hayward Super Pump SP2615X20. There was a crack on the housing and we had it replaced last year. However, the pool guy replaced my SP2615X20 housing with a SP2605X7 one. They added a 2in to 1.5 in adapter to fit in the new housing. I questioned this change (via my wife when I was in office) but the pool guy ensured my wife that this would not affect the pump performance. I always feel we were cheated but I'm not 100% sure (may the pump never pump the water to the full capacity of the pipe?). I checked with some other pool guys, some said it would affect but some said not.

Also, I'm thinking to change the housing back to SP2615X20 and have a pool company to have an estimate. The guy who checked my pump told me because there's no enough space left between the valves and the housing to put in a pipe to connect the housing (3 inches from the valve to the 2in to 1.5in adapter), he had to replace all the valves and pipes all the way from the ground. He'll charge $600 for labors only.

Here are my questions:
1. Is using a smaller housing with thinner pipe a big problem? If it does affect the performance, roughly, by how much (in terms of extra hours)?
2. Is it worth to spend $800-$900 (with parts) to change the housing back?
3. Are there other options to change the housing without having to change all the valves and pipes all the way from ground?

Appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

#1 The amount of change to head loss will very small so flow rate will probably not change by very much if at all.
#2 NO
#3 Can't tell without a picture.

If the filter pressure did not change from before to after, then your flow rate is pretty much the same as before.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.