New T-F100 User vs ColorQ results

blakeusa

In The Industry
Jul 8, 2010
Ashford, CT
I just ran my first set of tests with the TF 100. Results for Alk, CH and CYA are quite different. Have a clear and clean pool and have not been using much chlorine, but I did just enable my IC40 salt system last week so consumption may be not as evident as adding liquid chlorine.. Running the IC40 at 20% for 12 hours or so.

Color Q ------ TF-100 ------- Variance ------ / Percent %
FC 2.4 ------ 3.5 ------- 1.2 ------ / 34%
TC 2.69 ------ ------ ------ / 0
CC ------ -0- ------ / 0
ALK 110 ------ 80 ------ 30 ppm / 27%
CH 291 ------ 180 ------ 111 ppm/ 38%
CYA 51 ------ 20 ------ 21 ppm/ 60%

These are quite different as you can see. I am very accurate in my testing, using clean tubes and a speed stir. Tested CYA twice.

I also know that a couple of weeks ago I added enough CYA to bump my levels by 20+

Generally speaking, most reports on the forum would indicate that drops based testing is the most accurate.

1. Did you allow the dot to COMPLETELY disappear in full light when you did the CYA test?

2. When you say you bumped CYA 20+, what did you start with? How did you test the starting point?

3. Did you have other questions about the results?

I thought I already had 30ppm Cya via the Color Q. I had added a small amount about 2 months ago then more a couple of weeks ago before enabling the salt water system.

I believe the TF-100 results.. just a little surprised. Will test again in the AM and then will add more cya and calcium. That is one of the reasons I purchased the kit- was to get accurate readings.

B

duraleigh is correct, the ColorQ is generally very good at FC, CC, and PH. Reasonable at TA. Shaky on CH, and questionable on CYA. However there are occasional reports of more dramatic problems that appear to be related to the occasional defective unit.

I have the color Q as well and am VERY disappointed. I just got the DPD/FAS test from TF and it shows my FC to be 6 higher than what the ColorQ has been telling me. My Taylor K2006 confirmed the DPD/FAS results. The only thing that the ColorQ seems to get right is the TA. I ordered the ColorQ because i am not very good at matching the colors and I'm sorry I did. Was thinking my FC levels were OK and weren't even close!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.