Test Results

I read through "Shocking your pool" a couple times in the last couple days but apparently I wasn't "reading" comprehending. Ok, so keep shocking until your aren't losing the FC. So like last night I got FC up to 12.5 this morning it was 0.5 so then I should have shocked again this morning bringing it up to 12 again. Thus getting home tonight and testing again to see where I was at. Repeat the cycle. Well that makes me feel silly now. I was still kind of thinking about it as what the people use to tell me at the pool store.

Should I crank up the SWG and put that into Super Chlorinate mode or is that not worth it and just stick with the bleach?

It's a VERY common misconception....no thanks to the pool store. Yeah, bring it back up to 20ppm and keep it there by testing and adding as often as you can....4-5 times daily is not too much.

You will use a lot of chlorine but it's what your pool needs. Save the life of your salt cell by not using the "super-chlorinate". Bleach is much cheaper for this process.

Ok so I think we are making some headway:

6/21 - 6:45pm
FC-1
CC-0.5

Proceeded to shock

6/21 - 9:45pm
FC-14
CC-0to0.5 (It was barely readable)

6/22 - 6:00am
FC-7
CC-1

Added more bleach this morning aiming to bring the FC back up to 14. Kind of excited to see that we didn't loose all the FC overnight. I had the SWG turned off to give it a break. The odd thing is the CC went back up. My test at 9:45 last night the CC test barely changed color back to pink, so that is shot back up this morning was a little bit of a concern. Turned the SWG back on this morning. The water is crystal clear so at this point I am only chasing the CC. I am hoping to get home at lunch to take a reading.

Thanks again for all the input everyone! We keep on going here gotta get this pool in line.

Took sample last night around 6:45PM and FC 12.5 CC 0.5. Took another sample at 10pm and FC 9 CC 0.5 so I brought it back up to around 15 with bleach. Took sample this morning FC 14 CC 0.5. SWG was off all night.

So I think I will let it go all day today then take FC after the sun goes down, if it even comes out today. Then try a Overnite FC test. Thoughts?

Seems like a plan. How's the water look?
Shocking:

Measure the FC level
Add enough chlorine to bring FC up to shock level (or a little higher)
Repeat steps 1 and 2 as frequently as practical, but not more than once per hour, and not less than twice a day, until:
CC is 0.5 or lower;
An overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less;
And the water is clear.
Brush the entire pool once a day
Backwash or clean the filter as needed

Water is crystal clear. I can take a picture in the morning. Took the sample tonight around 7:45 pm and it was FC 14 and CC 0.5. Backwashed filter tonight as well. I think the water is the clearest I ever seen it.

Ok OCLT results... FC 13 CC 0.5. So it looks like we are good. We did have a down pour of rain during the night so I am not sure if that would have had any affect on it. So should I work on brining up the CYA? I bought liquid stabilizer the other day.

Here are the pictures of the pool. Please don't mind the leaves as they were blown in overnight during the storm. They will be out of the pool today!
[attachment=0:1z1l9bj7]Photo1 (Mobile).jpg[/attachment:1z1l9bj7]
[attachment=1:1z1l9bj7]Photo1 (1) (Mobile).jpg[/attachment:1z1l9bj7]

Attachments

• Photo1 (1) (Mobile).jpg
    Photo1 (1) (Mobile).jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Photo1 (Mobile).jpg
    Photo1 (Mobile).jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 15

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great! :goodjob: :whoot:

First, did you get your salt level adjusted? If salt is okay now, then you can do CYA.

No sense adding CYA only to dump some out to lower salt!

About that CYA, please adjust this slowly. You should retest CYA before adding any.

You can pour the solution back and forth from the little bottle and back into the view tube until you feel confident of the reading.

Once you are satisfied with the result, add enough CYA to get to about 60. Even tho the CYA is liquid and should dissolve rather quickly,
I still suggest you wait 'til tomorrow to retest and see where you are. Then adjust from there.

Have you seen the visual for the CYA test from Taylor? Scroll to bottom for pics:
http://www.taylortechnologies.com/Chemi ... ntentID=44

I am struggling with the salt. The SWG is reporting 3800-4100 ppm, fluctuating in there. But my K-1766 Taylor Salt Test kit is saying 4400 ppm. The manual for the SWG says 2700 to 3400 ppm. So if I take the advise of the Pool School's Water Balance for SWG then I need to get in a range of 3000-3700? This is where I am struggling. I have to drop 10-15% of the water out of the pool? I would have to get water delivered, as I am on a well with a water softener and using that to put in 2700 gallons of water would be a little intense on the water softener and well. I contacted a local pool water delivery company and they wanted $300 for the delivery.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.