Intex SWCG has green light but is not making chlorine

May 10, 2008
Illinois
Hi guys,

I just started my fourth year with the Intex brand salt water chlorine generator.
At the start of the year, everything was working perfectly but over the past few days I've ran into a problem.

The green light on the generator still comes on and I don't get any error codes. It will run through a full cycle and shut down as it is supposed to do. I've ran it through everything from a 2 hour cycle to an 8 hour cycle and everything appears to be working normally.

My problem started when I tested my water last Monday. I noticed that the chlorine level shown was only about 1 ppm when normally I run it in the 3 ppm range.
My solution was to add an extra hour to the cycle but the next day the chlorine level was even lower, about .5 ppm.

At that point I set the cycle for 8 hours and checked again the next morning. Upon testing I didn't see any trace of chlorine in the pool.
I then dumped about a quart of bleach into the pool and have been doing this ever since.

What gets me is that I'm not getting any error codes and everything acts as though it is working. I have plenty of CYA in the pool (about 80 ppm) and the water is in balance for a salt water system.

I just always assumed that if the cell failed then I would get some type of error code, or the unit would just shut down but maybe that's not right. I'm really just looking for anyone who might have had a similar problem who can point me in the right direction.

If it ever stops raining here I plan on pulling the cell and giving it a good cleaning to see if that helps. In the 3 plus years that I've been using this system I've never once had to clean the cell except at the end of the year. At that point I simply took a garden hose and sprayed through it even though I could never see anything at all on the plates.

So, if anyone has any suggestions or ideas I'd love to hear them.
I've already ordered another Intex SWCG which is SUPPOSED to be the one without copper. We'll see what I actually get once it arrives.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Likesspace said:
Hi guys,

I just started my fourth year with the Intex brand salt water chlorine generator.

On the same unit? I love these little guys but 4 years is a good run. It may could just need a good cleaning, or soak in some vinegar, but I'd say it's time for a new one. As cheap as they are, 3-4 years is certainly nothing to sneeze at.

Likesspace said:
I've already ordered another Intex SWCG which is SUPPOSED to be the one without copper. We'll see what I actually get once it arrives.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Where did you order it from?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.