Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Scupper Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Scupper Question

I have stone scuppers coming out of a 24" raised beam wall. My question is this....

Do I need to seal the rock with plaster on the inside of the scupper? Right now, the design is just to build the scupper around the return pipe and let the water flow. My concern is two fold. First, I have a SW system and it will hammer my stone. The second, is that water will seap through the morter that was used to hold the rock in place and build the scupper.

Does anyone know about building these and sealers?? Thanks.
    34 x 19 salt water free form. 7.5" inside diameter raised spa. 24" raised beam in back. 3 moss rock waterfalls off raised beam and moss rock waterfall out of the spa. (2) Intelliflo VF pumps, 420 Cartridge Filter, 400 BTU Pentair low nox heater. 2.5" suction and 2" returns throughout.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Scupper Question

I've never seen one of these made out of stone; sounds interesting! I agree that sealing the stone with plaster would help, but I'm not sure if it's really necessary. How much stone is the water actually in contact with? Any chance of a picture?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Scupper Question

If the mortar was done correctly it should be waterproof. Likewise, if the stone was selected correctly it won't have problems with the SWG. Using a sealant is still a good idea, but it shouldn't be required.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School