Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: First Estimate

1. Back To Top    #1

First Estimate

Just got my first estimate. Let me know what you guys think

21'x39' 3.5' to 8.5' free form gunite with diamond brite finish extra wide stairs and bench in deep end
    Pentair Intellipro VS + SVRS pump
    Sta rite cartridge filter
    Pentair Intellichlor salt chlorinator
    Sacrificial zinc anode
    All permits, engineering drawings, electrical, excavation costs
    Water
    2" PVC 40 with 90 degree sweeps
    Gunite shell is coated with aquron
    Stainless steel light niches with LED color changing lights (2)
    wall and tile scrubbing robotic cleaner
    Flow meter
    Free heat circulation package
    3 drains
    2 skimmers
    3 returns
    Equibond bonding grid around pool
    All steps and benches will be rebar reinforced
    Poured concrete pad for equipment
    Borates
    1 month free chemical analysis and balancing
    3 yr warranty on labor and materials for equipment
    10 yr warranty on quartz finish

Total: $45000

Options: sr smith turbo typhoon slide installed - $2850
    400sf concrete with cantilever edge - $2950
    Heater : 400k BTU pentair installed - $2500

This is all without any type of negotiating.

Thanks
    29' x 30' in-ground gunite, 20k gallons, superblue quartz finish
    IntelliChlor Salt Chlorinator
    IntelliPro VS+SVRS Variable Speed Pump (3hp)
    Pentair System 3 Cartridge filter (S8M500)
    2 skimmers, 3 wall returns, 3 floor returns, 2 drains
    StaRite Max E-Therm 400k BTU gas heater
    2 Deck jets
    SR Smith Turbo Twister slide

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: First Estimate

That all looks very fair to me. Good size and nice equipment at a reasonable price.
    The main suggestion I would make is much more decking. 400 sf is just going to cover about a 3ft wide border around it. Do you have any other patio or deck to join up to?

I would probably get at least 2 more bids and references on anyone you plan to use.

Best of luck,
    John.
    "Experience is what you get, just after you needed it."

Owner DIY build, steel/liner kit, 18x36 Deer Creek, sport depth, approx 17,500 gal,
    Aqua Plus SWG, 1 1/2 hp, 2 speed, 300# sand filter and twin Color logic 4.0s, MX-8 Cleaner.
    My DIY Pool Build

3. Back To Top    #3

i'm still a newb but a pool that size should have way more than 3 returns imo.

4. Back To Top    #4

It sounds like the builder knows his stuff, especially since they are including a zinc anode, a flowmeter, and borates.
    12,800 gallon IG plaster kidney-shaped pool, waterslide, 800 gallon spa.
    1HP 2 speed Sta-Rite pool pump, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite spa jet pump. 2 skimmers, 1 main drain
    Purex-Triton TR-60 325 lb.sand filter. 2" Plumbing, Intex SWCG, TF-100 test kit.
    Link to pics of my pool! http://www.troublefreepool.com/my-oasis-t26558.html

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by rv4hess
    That all looks very fair to me. Good size and nice equipment at a reasonable price.
    The main suggestion I would make is much more decking. 400 sf is just going to cover about a 3ft wide border around it. Do you have any other patio or deck to join up to?

I would probably get at least 2 more bids and references on anyone you plan to use.

Best of luck,
    John.

John:

Thanks for the response. We have an existing patio that he is planning to build off of. Here's a link to the 3D video he put together for me: http://youtu.be/fakNirv7RBk?hd=1

I have another bid coming for concrete, as well as bids for vinyl.

Thanks,
    Tom
    2 Deck jets

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by brg88tx
    i'm still a newb but a pool that size should have way more than 3 returns imo.

Since I'm a super noob as well, I guess more is better in this instance?
    2 Deck jets

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by guamguy
    It sounds like the builder knows his stuff, especially since they are including a zinc anode, a flowmeter, and borates.
    Yes, Guamguy, the PB comes highly recommended. I've asked around. He is also a custom home builder who got tired of his home owners complaining about the pools they put in after he got done building them their dream home. So...he got into the pool business. He's all about giving you the best bang for your buck. It's a bit pricey; but I'm thinking, I don't want to have to worry about the process or the end product. I think I'll get that with this guy. But we're early in the process....who knows.
    2 Deck jets

8. Back To Top    #8

Does your contract include water?
    15000 Salt Water, Hydrazzo plaster, all Jandy equipment. SWG, Polaris 280, booster pump, raised spa
    Houston, Texas -- It's a 105 in the shade.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by merl
    Does your contract include water?
    Hi merl. Yes, it includes water
    2 Deck jets

10. Back To Top    #10

No spa though? We tend to use our spa more often than the pool, even when the weather is cold (okay, we're talking coastal Southern California cold, so I guess I must qualify that!). It is really nice to sit in the spa and unwind. Ours is plumbed into the same equipment as the pool, and Jandy 3-way valves control the water flow in the spa vs. the pool. When the water flow is just directed into and out of the spa, it takes only about 15-20 minutes to heat it up to bathtub temps. The spa return jets are plumbed with a venturi air injector, so you get the little bubbles like a Jacuzzi as well. If you hadn't considered it, you might ask the builder how much more to add a side spa to the bid. I know I would.
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by CraigMW
    No spa though? We tend to use our spa more often than the pool, even when the weather is cold (okay, we're talking coastal Southern California cold, so I guess I must qualify that!). It is really nice to sit in the spa and unwind. Ours is plumbed into the same equipment as the pool, and Jandy 3-way valves control the water flow in the spa vs. the pool. When the water flow is just directed into and out of the spa, it takes only about 15-20 minutes to heat it up to bathtub temps. The spa return jets are plumbed with a venturi air injector, so you get the little bubbles like a Jacuzzi as well. If you hadn't considered it, you might ask the builder how much more to add a side spa to the bid. I know I would.

No...no spa. The Boss (aka "the wife") said she wasn't interested. And considering I'm raising 3 girls, I figure it's bad enough I'll have a pool.
    2 Deck jets

12. Back To Top    #12

Well I've received other estimates, and after doing the best apples to apples comparison I could, I decided to go with the PB that provided the estimate I detailed above. We did some back and forth negotiating, and I was able to get the options of concrete and the slide plus fencing (160lf @ $25lf installed) for $52k. I think I got a fair deal. PB was very upfront about costs and his margins. I'll start a build thread once we get closer to breaking ground - hopefully within 4 weeks!
    2 Deck jets

13. Back To Top    #13

this guy sure does sound like he knows his stuff! He must've learned alot from us "experts" here at TFP.
    Owner of Monogram Custom Pools in NE PA. My Personal Pool - 1000sf gunite pebble pool with 1500 gallon spa/grotto and 500 gallon outdoor spa; Pentair i9 Intellitouch with i10x expansion panel. Screenlogic 2/iPhone
    Intelloflo SVRS main pump, 6 whisperflow pumps 2hp to 3hp, Intellichem system, ic60 salt water cell, Sta rite 400k btu heater, Pentair 120k btu heat pump

14. Back To Top    #14

Hopefully your got more returns than 3? What is "free heat circulation" ?
    40'x19' IG Diamond Brite 29K 4' Waterfall/Dive Rock FNS60 DE Inteliflo VS 2hp Whisperflo pumps Aqualogic(P4) SWG TF100 Tester

Pool School, Pool Calculator,TFTestKits,

15. Back To Top    #15

As for adding returns, multi tier water fountains are reasonable and popular now.
    You might want to consider a return on the floor or a side area where you might add a floating fountain?
    Maybe in the step area for a spa like jet
    How about a deck jet?
    Do you have water planned for the slide?
    Just a thought since people are recommending more returns.

Best of luck,
    John
    "Experience is what you get, just after you needed it."

Owner DIY build, steel/liner kit, 18x36 Deer Creek, sport depth, approx 17,500 gal,
    Aqua Plus SWG, 1 1/2 hp, 2 speed, 300# sand filter and twin Color logic 4.0s, MX-8 Cleaner.
    My DIY Pool Build

16. Back To Top    #16

I am pretty sure this builder is including 3 wall returns and 3 adjustable floor returns.

"free heat circulation" is a fancy way to say that adjustable floor returns are included.

How do I know this? I am that builder. and thanks to everyone on this forum for helping teach my potential customers that we really are doing it right! I've sent countless customers here and I love when my customers get educated.

If this customer has some spare time, he might be convinced to share some of the tall tales he heard in his hunt for a pool builder.

My personal favorite...one builder told him that there was no need for salt water chlorination because the local water is 6.8 ph and that low level is more than enough the keep the water clean on its own! I am not making that up.

t
    Owner of Monogram Custom Pools in NE PA. My Personal Pool - 1000sf gunite pebble pool with 1500 gallon spa/grotto and 500 gallon outdoor spa; Pentair i9 Intellitouch with i10x expansion panel. Screenlogic 2/iPhone
    Intelloflo SVRS main pump, 6 whisperflow pumps 2hp to 3hp, Intellichem system, ic60 salt water cell, Sta rite 400k btu heater, Pentair 120k btu heat pump

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by acaciolo
    I am pretty sure this builder is including 3 wall returns and 3 adjustable floor returns.

"free heat circulation" is a fancy way to say that adjustable floor returns are included.

How do I know this? I am that builder. and thanks to everyone on this forum for helping teach my potential customers that we really are doing it right! I've sent countless customers here and I love when my customers get educated.

If this customer has some spare time, he might be convinced to share some of the tall tales he heard in his hunt for a pool builder.

My personal favorite...one builder told him that there was no need for salt water chlorination because the local water is 6.8 ph and that low level is more than enough the keep the water clean on its own! I am not making that up.

t

Well folks...meet my PB Tony. Good guy...so far. Just to show how dedicated he is, he took some time from his long awaited family vacation to hunt down my posts and chime in!

And thanks to the good folks on TFP for helping me make the right (and obvious) choice for a PB. Looking forward to the build with ya Tony...and a few choice beverages along the way. Cheers!

P.S. Oh and the stories about the "other" PB, I'll start another thread for those. But the one Tony mentioned above was even better when he added that salt water chlorination is nothing but smoke and mirrors. That if I wanted to do things right, I should use Sustain.
    2 Deck jets