Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is a good testing kit?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is a good testing kit?

What is a good testing kit? for all the parameters, want to buy something that is more accurate than the one i'm using.

get better readings on FC and total chlorine. looking for accuracy

so what pool test kits do you all use?
    15,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with spa. 350lb Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, and heater

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is a good testing kit?

Personally...I use the TF100 from TFtestkits.net and I added the salt, borate and speedstir options. The only other kit I would recommend is the Taylor K2006
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

I love, love, love the TFTest kit. I started using it when I converted my pool from baquacil to chlorine a couple of years ago and have never looked back. Between the good test kit and the pool calculator, my water has been perfectly sparkily ever since!
    24 x 52 Round AG Outback Empire Pool 13,500 gal.
    1 HP Hayward Power-Flo pump w/Hayward 18" 150lb. sand filter
    TF-100 test kit & SpeedStir
    Wanda the Whale Vacuum

5. Back To Top    #5

anyone else? appreciate the current responses
    15,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with spa. 350lb Sand filter, 1.5 hp pump, and heater

6. Back To Top    #6

smooth2222, the TF100 is the best bang for the buck and my fav. Period.

As mentioned, you can compare the test kits we recommend in Pool School.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

I started with some test strips from Lowes. Then I bought a 3-way kit from Leslies. Then I bought the Leslies equivalent of a K-2005 after I learned about the CYA/FC relationship. Once I knew what my CYA was, I had to mess around diluting the sample to keep FC up. Instead of buying refills for that kit, I ordered up a TF100XL. Tests everything, and for me the FAS-DPD test was essential, as I inherited CYA 220 and water restrictions made a drain impractical. When I ordered refills for the TF100, I ordered a speedstir. Then I bought more stirbars off some place on eBay, so I could do all my tests boom,boom,boom before rinsing vials and such. And that has held me for quite some time. There's nothing more to buy to upgrade!

My vote is exactly what I have now: TF100XL with speedstir. You won't end up with a bunch of extra test blocks like I have now.

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

8. Back To Top    #8

I vote for the TF100 kit as well, that and the the pool calculator go hand in hand for perfect testing and water balance.

The pool stores test can't even compare to TF Test kits!

It's that good and you'll save $$$ in the long run.
    Intex 15' X 48" metal frame pool
    Waterway Supreme 1hp 2 Speed pump
    Hayward X-Stream 150 Sq. Ft. Cartridge Filter
    2-2'x20' Sungrabber Solar Panels hooked up in parallel on a Goldline GL-235 controller.

Not getting "Pool Stored" = Priceless!!!
    Thank you TFP

9. Back To Top    #9

TF100 all the way. Taylor K-2006 comes in second only to the TF-100. You can get either one from www.tftestkits.net.

10. Back To Top    #10

The TF100 is a very good deal and it has all the stuff you need. After piecing together my kit from dad's old kit, buying new reagents, dealing with old color blocks, and having on hand the HTH 6-way kit to use for alkalinity, CH, and OTO testing... I just spent another $59 locally to get the FAS/DPD powder & reagents, new r-00003 in case mine was too old, new test block (prolly didn't need), and new phenol red to make my kit complete. Dangit!

Absolutely get the TF100. Even with shipping it's the best deal around. Where's the kick myself emoticon anyway?
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

11. Back To Top    #11

TF100 for sure.
    35K IG Vinyl 20 x 40 self built pool, Hayward Pro Series High-Rate Sand Filter 31" 98gal/min, Hayward TriStar 1.85hp, Hayward 400btu heater, BBB method w/Hypo, Jazz light w/matching fiber optic rope lighting around coping w/syncronized color wheels. Concrete Paver deck.

12. Back To Top    #12

TF100..The best ..bought last year..only thing that I have ordered is the cya solution..There is enough to make it another year..Keep it in a cool place..Mine I keep under my bed...Best investment you will ever make..
    Leasure bay AG 24ft,52 in high.installed June of 1999. Hayworth S-180 T sand filter/Power-Flo Matrix 1horse 2 speed pump /Aqua Trol SWG/Using TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

Trust me, if you ask of this forum, the answer is the TF100. I successfully quoted every answer before I clicked the link, there won't really be any other suggestions. Several people who commented have the link in their signiture and you get a discount if you become a lifetime member of the forum. If you are truely concerned about accuracy and getting things exact it is the best answer for a good value given the money you will save on unnecessary chemical purchases.
    JD - 28' Round Above Ground Pool, 17,000 Gallons. Dual speed Jacuzzi pump with cartridge filter. Dual speed 1 HP pump, Hayward S210T sand filter
    Pool School - PoolMath - HIGHLY Recommended Test Kits

14. Back To Top    #14

ok buying my tf100 thanks all

15. Back To Top    #15

TF100 is great but if you have any type of algae problem be sure to get the XL option.
    Plaster pool inground 22,000 gallons with spa. Pentair Intelliflo, IC40 salt generator, WiFi control/Easy Touch.
    Hayward 1.5 HP pump on 750 gallon spa. Sand filters. Auto chlorinator on spa. Auto water level. Dolphin M500. TF100 XL with Speed Stir

16. Back To Top    #16

You already made up your mind but one more for TF100 and if you can speedstir.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

17. Back To Top    #17

Quote Originally Posted by smooth2222
    ok buying my tf100 thanks all
    Great choice, best bang for the buck!!
    http://www.circledspecialties.com

44,000 IG Salt Pool - Pentair VF, Quad 100, Polaris 280, IC60, 400 Mater Temp