son is highly sensitive to chlorine what is best

Jun 17, 2011
We have a small 15 ft x 42 inch quick set pool we are getting ready to set it up we had one several years ago and used chlorine based pool chemicals. Our son has autism and is extremely sensitive to multiple chemicals and had a negative reaction to just the smell of bleach someone was using to clean with in a store bathroom. Feingold diet recommends pristine blue but I am nervous about it not be effective enough to kill bacteria, my son has a week immune system due to high levels of toxins in his body. Our home is pretty free of all commercial cleaners we use natural based cleaning products mainly vinegar, baking soda, washing soda, 20 mule team borax, essential oils, and enzyme based cleaning products. The BBB method sounds great except for the bleach. What are my alternatives? :?

Welcome to TFP!

True chlorine allergies are very very rare, but when they do occur it gets very challenging. Nearly everyone who thinks they are allergic to chlorine are actually allergic to chlorine disinfection byproducts, which can be dramatically lowered compared to what you tend to see by taking proper care of your pool. Your description does sound like a true chlorine sensitivity, but it is difficult to be sure.

There are only three approved sanitizers in the US: chlorine, bromine, and baqua. Nearly everyone who is actually allergic to chlorine is also allergic to bromine, which leaves baqua. Baqua can work, but it tends to be expensive and to have significant problems after the first year or two.

Every thing my kid has is rare, we are use to everything being expensive for him and I got the blow up type pool extremely cheap so if it makes it two years I more than got my moneys worth. Is their anything I need to know about Baqua, and does it cause any irritations?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.