Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Calcium Scaling?

1. Back To Top    #1

Calcium Scaling?

Just recently added borates about a month ago and now it *seems* like a form of calcium scaling has shown up pretty strong on my pool tile. It's really noticable on the infinity edge tile when the tiles are completely dry. You can even feel a chalkyness instead of a smoothness on the tiles...

Here are the latest results:

FC = 2
    CC = 0
    TC = 2
    pH = 7.6
    T/A = 80
    CH = 270
    CYA = 40
    Temp = 94 degrees
    Salt = 3400
    Borates = ~45
    CSI = -0.19

I'll also admit that I seem to be behind on keeping the pH down as it frequently drifts up to 8...

Thanks
    Pool: 24k, 38' x 19' x 24' Free-form IG Gunite with 24' Infinity Edge and Cantilever coping, SGM Diamond Brite Super Blue Plaster,
    Filter: Hayward C5025 Swim Clear Cartridge Pool Filter - 525 Square Feet
    Main Pool Pump: Hayward TriStar Energy Efficient Pool Pump 1HP - (SP3210EE), Hayward Pool Cleaner Booster Pump - 6060
    Infinity Edge Catch Basin Pump: Hayward TriStar Energy Efficient Pool Pump 3HP - (SP3230EE)
    Automation: Aqua Plus 40K Gallon Chlorination and Control - PL-PLUS (SWG)

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Calcium Scaling?

That's interesting because the borates cleared the scaling I had. It also stabilized my pH. It used to drift around, contributing to the scaling.

I'm surprised you have scaling, your CH is on the bottom end of the range, pH looks good, etc.

Your FC is a little low
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Calcium Scaling?

Yeah my pH drifts up because of the huge infinity edge...
    Pool: 24k, 38' x 19' x 24' Free-form IG Gunite with 24' Infinity Edge and Cantilever coping, SGM Diamond Brite Super Blue Plaster,
    Main Pool Pump: Hayward TriStar Energy Efficient Pool Pump 1HP - (SP3210EE), Hayward Pool Cleaner Booster Pump - 6060
    Infinity Edge Catch Basin Pump: Hayward TriStar Energy Efficient Pool Pump 3HP - (SP3230EE)

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

I'll also admit that I seem to be behind on keeping the pH down as it frequently drifts up to 8
    Absolutely an open invitation for scaling.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Calcium Scaling?

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to maintain a 7.2 - 7.4 for a while see if the scale starts to disappear. Will update this thread after a month.

6. Back To Top    #6

Funny, I noticed the exact same thing. Added an optimizer a month ago and now have white calcium/efflorescence worse than ever, especially on the walls where my spa that empties into the pool. What are you using to clean it?