Richard in Flower Mound TX

Jun 17, 2011
North Texas
Good morning! I'm glad I found this forum. Here's my story....

14 years ago my wife and I built our house, never dreaming we'd be here this long. We were fortunate enough to design our house, so we got exactly what we wanted. For the past 5 years we've been looking to move, but just can't find anything in our price range that offers what we want, especially a pool. See, we didn't want to build a pool. We've heard the horror stories, especially that you just don't ever get your money back. So we were going to buy a house that already had a pool.

Well, after 5 years, we finally decided we're not going anywhere. We don't need a bigger house, our two boys love our neighborhood (there's a bunch of other boys their age within a 2 block area), and frankly, we just love our house too much.

So far I've called 5 different pool companies, left some messages, and got a call back. I'll be spending a lot of time reading through this forum, getting familiar with terminology, equipment, options, etc. Our first big debate that I can't decide on is saltwater vs. chlorine - yes, I know salt is chlorine, so really it's between salt and traditional chlorine. We have some friends with a saltwater pool, and I love to swim in it.

An SWG can be added at any time should you decide to go traditional chlorine and then switch. Just takes a bit of plumbing and wiring to get it set up. It's really a matter of preference as to whether you want the salt or not. Some just want the salt because it helps make the water feel good on your skin. Others like it for the SWG use.

It may also depend on what types of materials you have around your pool. Salt can be harsh to some of the more porous/delicate stones.

It sounds like you love your home and should stay. If you moved somewhere else for a pool that is already built, chances are that there will be something about it that you wouldn't like or that wasn't right... plus you would be giving up your dream house for a pool. Keep what you have and get through the pool construction.. you'll likely be glad in the end that you stuck it out!

Hi Richard,

We have quite a few members in and around Flower Mound, including a Mod!

If I had the $, I would install a SWCG. Period. Just my .02

Welcome :wave:

Note to the Carolinas: The Texans are gettin' ahead of us with pools - again! :lol:

notenuftoys said:
what is SWCG and SWG?
Some people prefer saying SWCG because SWG could imply that salt water is being generated instead of chlorine from salt. Probably why some people think that "salt water" pools don't have chlorine. I heard a co-worker say that he had a swcg installed and he called it magic. I hear plenty of conversations on my floor since we only have cubes and no real walls. :hammer:

woodyp said:
We Texans are enjoying August in June. That could account for some of the Texas influx! Welcome!

Boy you ain't lyin' there........this week HAS been August. We are wondering what's in store with all the other freaky weather this year. Looks to be a scorcher.

To the OP: Welcome to TFP. You'll learn a whole lot hanging out here and meet some nice folks too. Keep us posted...and good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support