Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Richard in Flower Mound TX

1. Back To Top    #1

Richard in Flower Mound TX

Good morning! I'm glad I found this forum. Here's my story....

14 years ago my wife and I built our house, never dreaming we'd be here this long. We were fortunate enough to design our house, so we got exactly what we wanted. For the past 5 years we've been looking to move, but just can't find anything in our price range that offers what we want, especially a pool. See, we didn't want to build a pool. We've heard the horror stories, especially that you just don't ever get your money back. So we were going to buy a house that already had a pool.

Well, after 5 years, we finally decided we're not going anywhere. We don't need a bigger house, our two boys love our neighborhood (there's a bunch of other boys their age within a 2 block area), and frankly, we just love our house too much.

So far I've called 5 different pool companies, left some messages, and got a call back. I'll be spending a lot of time reading through this forum, getting familiar with terminology, equipment, options, etc. Our first big debate that I can't decide on is saltwater vs. chlorine - yes, I know salt is chlorine, so really it's between salt and traditional chlorine. We have some friends with a saltwater pool, and I love to swim in it.
    20' x 40' / 33,000 gallon / IG / Vinyl
    200lb sand filter / 1hp pump
    4hrs full sun with about 45 min part sun before and after

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Richard in Flower Mound TX

An SWG can be added at any time should you decide to go traditional chlorine and then switch. Just takes a bit of plumbing and wiring to get it set up. It's really a matter of preference as to whether you want the salt or not. Some just want the salt because it helps make the water feel good on your skin. Others like it for the SWG use.

It may also depend on what types of materials you have around your pool. Salt can be harsh to some of the more porous/delicate stones.

It sounds like you love your home and should stay. If you moved somewhere else for a pool that is already built, chances are that there will be something about it that you wouldn't like or that wasn't right... plus you would be giving up your dream house for a pool. Keep what you have and get through the pool construction.. you'll likely be glad in the end that you stuck it out!
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

3. Back To Top    #3

Hi Richard,

We have quite a few members in and around Flower Mound, including a Mod!

If I had the $, I would install a SWCG. Period. Just my .02

Welcome

Note to the Carolinas: The Texans are gettin' ahead of us with pools - again!
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

We Texans are enjoying August in June. That could account for some of the Texas influx! Welcome!
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

5. Back To Top    #5

All I know is it's friggin hot and my pool is going to get used A LOT this weekend!
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks everyone.

Now for the first dumb question: what is SWCG and SWG? I assume it has something to do with saltwater.
    20' x 40' / 33,000 gallon / IG / Vinyl
    200lb sand filter / 1hp pump
    4hrs full sun with about 45 min part sun before and after

7. Back To Top    #7

salt water chlorine generator. it's the cell.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by notenuftoys
    what is SWCG and SWG?
    Some people prefer saying SWCG because SWG could imply that salt water is being generated instead of chlorine from salt. Probably why some people think that "salt water" pools don't have chlorine. I heard a co-worker say that he had a swcg installed and he called it magic. I hear plenty of conversations on my floor since we only have cubes and no real walls.
    Aaron
    [ Vogue Vectra 24' AG | Hard plumb: Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1HP 2-speed, 27" sand filter & Pentair MiniMax 100 NG | Taylor K-2006 | Central IL ]