Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Anyone know what this can be?

1. Back To Top    #1

Anyone know what this can be?

It seems like a dirtily substance.. When i brush it nothing comes up or if i vacuum that area. I am attaching a picture..
    25k Gallon Gunite Inground Pool
    Pentair FNS PLUS DE filter
    Pentair WhisperFlo WF-24 (seems like single speed)
    Chlorine
    Bel Air, MD 21015

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Anyone know what this can be?

That looks like staining, rather than algae. Try holding a vitamin C tablet against a stained area for 30 seconds and see if the stain goes away or gets lighter in that area.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

just a regular vitamin c tablet?
    Chlorine
    Bel Air, MD 21015

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by precator
    just a regular vitamin c tablet?
    Yes, the cheap kind without special coating.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

didn't work. You did say 30 seconds correct.. Not 30 minutes?
    Chlorine
    Bel Air, MD 21015

6. Back To Top    #6

Also I saw this guys link.. his stains look a lot like mine. But I did not see a resolution on his post. He did mention though that vitamin c did not help him much either..
    Chlorine
    Bel Air, MD 21015

7. Back To Top    #7

Chlorine
    Bel Air, MD 21015

8. Back To Top    #8

Yep, 30 seconds. However, in my pool, the spot was kinda difficult to get to, so I smashed a few vit C tabs in a cotton sock and held it in place w/pole for a few minutes. Some tabs have an outer coating that may take a while longer to get 'melted'.

Have you used any copper products in your pool?
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly
    Yep, 30 seconds. However, in my pool, the spot was kinda difficult to get to, so I smashed a few vit C tabs in a cotton sock and held it in place w/pole for a few minutes. Some tabs have an outer coating that may take a while longer to get 'melted'.

Have you used any copper products in your pool?
    No I have not used any copper products..
    Chlorine
    Bel Air, MD 21015

10. Back To Top    #10

Anyone know what this could be? It is driving me nuts. It is all over our pool...
    Chlorine
    Bel Air, MD 21015

11. Back To Top    #11

The color is a little dark, but it sure looks like Calcium to me. Through the water, with plain white plaster, mine looks sorta bluish gray. When you see it exposed, it's more of a tan color. I posted a few pics a while ago in this thread: post228991.html#p228991

Obsessive maintenance of CSI around -.5 has removed a lot of my scaling. I suspect I will be able to post an after picture by the end of summer.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

12. Back To Top    #12

What is CSI? and how did you solve this problem. Mine looks very close to your pictures
    Chlorine
    Bel Air, MD 21015

13. Back To Top    #13

CSI is the Calcium Saturation Index. It is a calculated value. Pool Calculator will do it for you, if you enter all the variables. See this thread and save me a lot of typing.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    CSI is the Calcium Saturation Index. It is a calculated value. Pool Calculator will do it for you, if you enter all the variables. See this thread and save me a lot of typing.
    My CSI was at 0.37 Prob way too high.. Looks like I need it to get to the -.05 correct at least to start removing the scaling?
    Chlorine
    Bel Air, MD 21015

15. Back To Top    #15

.37 shouldn't be a problem. However, that's not to say it has always been at that number. When I got a test kit to check up on the pool service I sorta inherited with the house, pH was off the scale! And with the hard water here, scaling was inevitable. Since I took over, pH has been under control, yet the scale remains.

Keeping CSI near zero will keep things as they are. I had to drive TA waaaay down and keep pH at 7.3 to get CSI down to -.5. Then I got a lot of rainwater, which reduced TA and CH a lot, and that's when things really started to improve. If you want to try my method, you will need frequent water testing, like every other day, lots of acid, lots of brushing with a steel brush, and periodic partial drains to lower the CH you have been increasing by dissolving scale. And a year or two.