Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Recommended Chlorine level - Target or Minimum

1. Back To Top    #1

Recommended Chlorine level - Target or Minimum

My CYA is about 45 so my minimum chlorine level is 3 - 4.

I add liquid chlorine each evening after testing with an TF100. Up to now if have been trying to add chlorine to get to 5 - 6 so it is back to 3 - 4 the next evening. Everything seem OK with bright clear water but I am now wondering if I actually should be trying to adjust so it falls back to the target chlorine level 5 - 6 (not the minimum level 3 - 4) the following evening. It seems if I target this higher level I'll use more chlorine (at a higher cost) as other posts suggest you'll lose around half the chlorine level to sunlight each day

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Recommended Chlorine level - Target or Minimum

You are doing fine by adding enough chlorine that you end up at the target level for your given CYA at the end of the day and I personally wouldn't change that. This is exactly what I do. Now, you can certainly run the FC a little higher by adding more than you have been. You won't necessarily use more chlorine by doing this since with all else being equal, you are still going to lose the same amount of FC that you have before. What you will have though is more of a cushion than you did previously.

3. Back To Top    #3

I think you've got it figured out! I dose up a bit higher for those weekend parties too.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

4. Back To Top    #4

I shoot for the higher side bc I'm in full sun from sun up to sun down. I like having the cushion!
    10,408 gallon, 21' round, 52 in' deep AG, half in ground
    Artesian Clear Master Plus Sand Filter, Artesian Turbo King 2 hp pump, installed June 08
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    GEAUX TIGERS!
    Pics taken 2012
    http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad25 ... CN0606.jpg
    http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad25 ... CN0607.jpg

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    You won't necessarily use more chlorine by doing this since with all else being equal, you are still going to lose the same amount of FC that you have before. What you will have though is more of a cushion than you did previously.
    i think technically there will be higher CL loss, since it's a percentage and not an absolute number.
    26K In-ground Vinyl Pool | Hayward DE4820/SP0710XR50 filter | 1.125 HP Dual Speed Hayward Super Pump | Aquasol Solar

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Diver
    Quote Originally Posted by 257WbyMag
    You won't necessarily use more chlorine by doing this since with all else being equal, you are still going to lose the same amount of FC that you have before. What you will have though is more of a cushion than you did previously.
    i think technically there will be higher CL loss, since it's a percentage and not an absolute number.
    That is what is was thinking - the higher the initial FC - the higher the daily loss and daily usage.

Seems it is a balance.

We now have some warm weather with pool about 85 at the end of the day (solar heating). I am adjusting to FC 6 each evening and seems to drop to about FC 3 by the next evening - this seems to be working well.

7. Back To Top    #7

Somewhere in the forum chem geek has a few posts about FC loss. I think it said something about the higher the FC the greater % you will lose during the day. I'll try to find the post.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

The amount of chlorine you lose to sunlight over the course of a day is a percentage of your starting level, assuming all else remains the same.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School