Greenish clowdy water

Jun 16, 2011
Ok I have a salt water above ground pool and I cannot get the greenish water to go away !!! I have used the boost 2 days in a row.. From what I can tell the other levels are ok except the free chlorine level.. Someone PLEASE HELP.. Its hot here in Texas and I need some cooling off... :(

this is what the pool store results showed
Temp 85
saturation index 0.6
TDS 5000
CYA 0
tot chlorine 0.6
free chlorine 0
ph 8
tot alkalinity 141
adj total alk 181
total hardness 181
minerals 3500
Borates 9
copper 0
iron 0
then it said for green,black,mustard None
all this is greek to me..

You have no CYA and very low FC. That's why algae has started growing.

FC = free chlorine. CYA is stabilizer, think of it as sunscreen for the chlorine.

Basically, your salt water generator can't keep up. You will need to kill the algae that's in there and get some stabilizer in the water. To do this right, and as fast as possible, you will need your own test kit. You can read the article in Pool School or skip right to the end and go to http://tftestkits.net and order a TF100. I recommend the XL option as you will be shocking. I also like the speedstir. And with a SWG, some salt test strips would also be wise.

Next, head over to Pool School and start reading.

Tomorrow, when the stores are open, you will need to buy some stabilizer and a bunch of bleach or "liquid chlorine" or "liquid shock." It's all explained in Pool School.

You need to get that stuff in ASAP, and unfortunately, without your own test kit, you will be handicapped a great deal. You'll need to make your best guess as to how much bleach to add just to keep the algae at bay until you can do the shock process accurately with the test kit you ordered tonight. And no, the kits at the pool store are not sufficient unless they have the FAS-DPD test, and most don't, unless it says so on the box. Ignore what the salesman says, it is not the same.

so is the stablizer for salt water and chlorine pools the same ?? I put in 2 lbs of stablizer in today and ran the boost, its still kinda cloudy, I will get some bleach in the morning, I will get like 6 gals and see what that does.

Beach in water ??

Merged topics. Butterfly

Ok I have a above ground pool Its 4 ft X48 in pool its a salt water pool. the CYA is 0 the free chlorine is 0, so i was wondering how much bleach I need to clear the pool, Its kinda a greenish cloudy color, I did the boost and added a stablizer

Hi momofhnd,

I merged your topics. Please keep all questions in this thread until the green/cloudy pool issue is resolved. It is easier for folks to help you because the history they need is in one place.

Please go back up and read responses. We need more information before we can give good advice. Without the info requested, we would be only guessing.

How are you testing your water?

ok I sorry the size is 15x48.. Its looking a little better this morning, I added 2 1/2 lbs of stablizer and did another boost lastnight, so how much bleach would you suggest adding to get it sparkling clean?? Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sorry I typed that wrong.. I added like 3 cups of bleach and now the levels are looking lots better... The water is still a little cloudy but not green.. So I have the boost going again.. If I keep this up will it make the water clear?? Or do I need to add a clarifier

What you need to do is use the handy dandy pool calculator from this sight. You fill in the blanks for the size of your pool and it will roughly tell you haw many gallons of water your pool holds. Then you need to plug in your test result numbers into the appropriate areas and where you wan't your numbers to be. I can tell you 3 cups of bleach is not enough to shock your pool. I'm going to look at your numbers and see what the calculater hast to say, then I will try to post a reply

OK, here's what I'm coming up with. If your pool is 15 ft wide and 48 inches deep, it says it holds 5300 gallons of water. If you have added 2 1/2 lbs. of sabalizer, you need at least another 1/2 lb. to get you to 30 ppms. You might want to take it a little higher than that later, but for shocking purposes, I wouldn't go any higher right now. You need to add 1 gallons and 1 cup of bleach to raise it to shock level, but once you get it to that level, you need to keep it at that level until it loses less than 1 ppmovernight. That is going to be very hard to maintain with out a good test kit. Hope this gets you started.

The salt will not take over. A saltwater pool is a chlorine pool as the SWCG creates chlorine to continuously keep your water sanitized. If you keep your chlorine levels up either by using the SWCG or via manual chlorine addition, the pool will eventually clear up :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.