Shock Levels

May 26, 2011
Southeast Georgia
I'm still fairly new to the site but I can't seem to find the answer to safe chlorine levels. I understand the recommended levels and how certain factors require more FC for balance. But I've also read that one should avoid swimming in levels above certain thresholds. When I look at the recommended shock levels, and the direction to maintain them, I want to know when it is OK to swim. Am I misunderstanding the directions or have I been basing my assumptions on a myth?

I am not sure I understand what you are asking. You shouldn't swim if you are having to shock your pool. Once you have completed the shock process and your FC level drops below shock level, then it is safe to swim. Based on your CYA level, you will have a target minimum FC, a target "ideal" FC, and shock FC.

What I am attempting to ask is "when is it safe to swim". According to that chart, my target FC is 7 and my shock level 24. When I have successfully "shocked" the pool and I have maintained the shock level, how long before it is OK to swim. For example, if the next day the reading is down to 19, is it OK? I have read where commercial pools will close with readings above 10. At what level would you not allow your children to swim?

Commercial Pools aren't allowed to run with CYA in them, or not much if they do.
10 FC with 0 CYA is somewhere like 50 with 50 CYA - just a huge number. Don't quote me on that, it was just a number I grabbed out of thin air as an example. Chem Geek has posted an equivalence chart somewhere, and I searched for it, but he's such a prolific poster I gave up.

If minimum FC is 7, I'd probably swim in it up to 14. But that's after all 3 conditions for saying the shock process is finished have been met.

bill5416 said:
What I am attempting to ask is "when is it safe to swim". According to that chart, my target FC is 7 and my shock level 24. When I have successfully "shocked" the pool and I have maintained the shock level, how long before it is OK to swim. For example, if the next day the reading is down to 19, is it OK? I have read where commercial pools will close with readings above 10. At what level would you not allow your children to swim?

Assuming you have completed the shock process (see red line in my sig), it is safe to swim when your FC is above the minimum and below shock level based on your CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.