Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 27

Thread: Need feedback on my proposed Stenner solution - Completed!!

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    37

    Need feedback on my proposed Stenner solution - Completed!!

    I am planning on installing a Stenner pump to replace my salt cell solution. I wanted to get any feedback on my plan. My pool is ~18K gallons. My current 6% bleach demand is about 2 quarts a day. I plan on getting a 15 gallon unit with the 45MHP22 pump. This is an adjustable 25-100 PSI pump that will deliver between 0.05 to 0.92 gallons/hr. I plan on connecting the pump to an extra relay on my Pentair EasyTouch system. What I was thinking of doing was starting the pump about 20 mins after my main pool pump comes on and dosing at pull rate for about 25-25 mins. This should inject the needed bleach into the pool and then give it bunch of hours to fully circulate. My thought process was to have the pump do a high rate injection so if I need to shock or dose higher I can just turn the pool pump and bleach pump on for the time needed to reach the goal. Besides any feedback to my general plan above I do have a few questions I was hoping I could get some answers on.

    1. I need to know if the injection fitting installs into a 1/2" PVC threaded fitting. I am planning on installing a 2" "T" and putting a 2" slip to 1/2" threaded adapter. Need to make sure that is the right size.

    2. Should I use the 1/4" tubing or 3/8"?

    3. My pool pressure is 20-30 PSI so I figured the 25-100 PSI unit was the way to go here. Is this the right pump to go with?

    4. I may add another unit later to handle PH. I was thinking of installing a 2" 4 way instead of a "T" connection to provide 2 of the 1/2" threaded connections and plugging the unused one. The question I have are there any issues with having the two injectors opposite each other. Are they long enough for the tips to touch inside the pipe? I would not think so but wanted to check.

    I appreciate any feedback.

    Thanks!

    Steve
    25,000 gallon saltwater in-ground pool with in-floor cleaners. Medium lagoon plaster. Jandy pump and heater and Glacier Pool chiller. Use iRobot Verro pool cleaner.

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Mod Squad Bama Rambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SouthWest Alabama
    Posts
    22,342

    Re: Need feedback on my proposed Stenner solution

    1) Yes the injection check valve has both 1/4" and 1/2" mnpt fittings on it so it'll screw right into the 1/2" adapter.

    2) 1/4" is fine but either will work so the choice is really your's.

    3) Yeah, The way I figure it the HP pump will pump into a low pressure line and I'd rather have the check valve in case the tube springs a leak.

    4) I wouldn't inject acid and chlorine at the same place at the same time. Given the amount of chlorine you're going to be injecting I'd want to make sure I injected the acid and the chlorine at different times. If you do that then your idea of using a cross is fine.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    37

    Re: Need feedback on my proposed Stenner solution

    Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    1) Yes the injection check valve has both 1/4" and 1/2" mnpt fittings on it so it'll screw right into the 1/2" adapter.

    2) 1/4" is fine but either will work so the choice is really your's.

    3) Yeah, The way I figure it the HP pump will pump into a low pressure line and I'd rather have the check valve in case the tube springs a leak.

    4) I wouldn't inject acid and chlorine at the same place at the same time. Given the amount of chlorine you're going to be injecting I'd want to make sure I injected the acid and the chlorine at different times. If you do that then your idea of using a cross is fine.
    Perfect. I appreciate all the feedback. As far as #4 I was more concerned about the physical interference of the injectors. I did not want to use 2 seperate "T's" as I don't have that much length and I am going to install a Rainbow 320 as well for backup. If I did ever hook up a PH pump I would would put it on a separate schedule so they would not be injecting at the same time. I actually have 2 extra relays on my EasyTouch controller so no problem doing that.

    Thanks!

    Steve
    25,000 gallon saltwater in-ground pool with in-floor cleaners. Medium lagoon plaster. Jandy pump and heater and Glacier Pool chiller. Use iRobot Verro pool cleaner.

  4. Back To Top    #4
    Mod Squad Bama Rambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SouthWest Alabama
    Posts
    22,342

    Re: Need feedback on my proposed Stenner solution

    In a 2" line the injection fittings won't stick far enough through to even come close to each other. You'll be fine with a cross.

    Also I think that once you switch from swcg to bleach you'll see your pH become a lot more steady.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

  5. Back To Top    #5

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    37

    Re: Need feedback on my proposed Stenner solution

    Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    In a 2" line the injection fittings won't stick far enough through to even come close to each other. You'll be fine with a cross.

    Also I think that once you switch from swcg to bleach you'll see your pH become a lot more steady.
    I have been using bleach manually for the last few months. I still have decent PH climb as I have a lot of aeration from the spa spillover and waterfall. I need to map it better but I think I gain about .1 per day in PH.

    Thanks!

    Steve
    25,000 gallon saltwater in-ground pool with in-floor cleaners. Medium lagoon plaster. Jandy pump and heater and Glacier Pool chiller. Use iRobot Verro pool cleaner.

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    37

    Re: Need feedback on my proposed Stenner solution

    Got my parts on order. I appreciate all the help here. I will post pictures once I get it installed.

    Steve
    25,000 gallon saltwater in-ground pool with in-floor cleaners. Medium lagoon plaster. Jandy pump and heater and Glacier Pool chiller. Use iRobot Verro pool cleaner.

  7. Back To Top    #7

    In the Industry

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    7

    Re: Need feedback on my proposed Stenner solution

    You can put the injectors quite close and feed at the same time without problems IF, and ONLY IF, you make sure chemicals cannot feed if there is no flow in the system.

    In my pools I place the acid/soda ash injectors first and the sanitizer second. The amounts being pumped into the pipe are very small compared to the volume of water and dilution very quick.

    A bigger problem for you will be the use of undiluted bleach. You'll find that the bleach will create deposits at the injection point which can eventually plug the injector entirely. Undiluted chemicals can also pose a greater safety hazard when handling or if they are spilled. On our public pools we find 1/4 strength to be pretty decent for sodium hypochlorite. We also use 1/4 strength on Muriatic acid but that's more for safety and ease of setting up feed rates. I can put my hand in 25% muriatic and wash off a few minutes later without any problems. Full strength Muriatic smokes when you open it and I'm NOT putting my hand in to see how long I could last 8^o

    You'll also have to be careful about siphoning. If you're using a peristaltic pump and short feed lines then it's really not an issue. If you're usng LMI/Pulsetron style positive displacement then your pool can suck the chemicals out of the vat right through the pump. Some form of spring loaded check valve is required for those.

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    37

    Re: Need feedback on my proposed Stenner solution

    Quote Originally Posted by PatM
    You can put the injectors quite close and feed at the same time without problems IF, and ONLY IF, you make sure chemicals cannot feed if there is no flow in the system.

    In my pools I place the acid/soda ash injectors first and the sanitizer second. The amounts being pumped into the pipe are very small compared to the volume of water and dilution very quick.

    A bigger problem for you will be the use of undiluted bleach. You'll find that the bleach will create deposits at the injection point which can eventually plug the injector entirely. Undiluted chemicals can also pose a greater safety hazard when handling or if they are spilled. On our public pools we find 1/4 strength to be pretty decent for sodium hypochlorite. We also use 1/4 strength on Muriatic acid but that's more for safety and ease of setting up feed rates. I can put my hand in 25% muriatic and wash off a few minutes later without any problems. Full strength Muriatic smokes when you open it and I'm NOT putting my hand in to see how long I could last 8^o

    You'll also have to be careful about siphoning. If you're using a peristaltic pump and short feed lines then it's really not an issue. If you're usng LMI/Pulsetron style positive displacement then your pool can suck the chemicals out of the vat right through the pump. Some form of spring loaded check valve is required for those.
    Pat,

    Thanks for the feedback. The one part I did not get is the diluted bleach concern. Are you saying diluted 6% bleach or something higher? My plan was to run 6% bleach. Are you saying you run 6% bleach diluted to 2% in the public pools you manage? If I do get a pump for acid my plan was to dilute 4 to 1.

    Steve
    25,000 gallon saltwater in-ground pool with in-floor cleaners. Medium lagoon plaster. Jandy pump and heater and Glacier Pool chiller. Use iRobot Verro pool cleaner.

  9. Back To Top    #9

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    37

    Re: Need feedback on my proposed Stenner solution

    I got the pump installed today. Very easy. I linked it to one of my aux relays on my easy touch. The way I did that is the outlet is fed by the relay so I just plugged it into the relay. There are three outlets in the picture and they are relays 6,7 and 8 respectively. The second picture shows the section where the Pentair 320 inline chlorinator and injection ports, which replaced my Intellichlor IC40, reside. There is a second 1/2" fitting opposite the chlorine injector. I did this in case I want to add PH injection as well. At this point I just need to figure out how long to run the pump. It is a fixed rate pump (45MPHP22) which will do .92 gallons/hr or 1.96 ounces/minute. I think I am right at 110 oz/day so need to run the injection pump for ~56 minutes every 24 hrs. I will most likely split this up into 2-4 injections of 15 mins to even out the distribution. Overall I think this is well worth the $302.00 I spent for the pump and tank.







    The one question I have is on the last picture the tube is not in the middle of the rollers. Is that normal? Let me know.

    Thanks!

    Steve
    25,000 gallon saltwater in-ground pool with in-floor cleaners. Medium lagoon plaster. Jandy pump and heater and Glacier Pool chiller. Use iRobot Verro pool cleaner.

  10. Back To Top    #10
    Mod Squad Bama Rambler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SouthWest Alabama
    Posts
    22,342

    Re: Need feedback on my proposed Stenner solution

    It tend to find it's natural 'center' so it doesn't matter that it's not perfectly centered on the rollers.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

  11. Back To Top    #11

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    187

    Re: Need feedback on my proposed Stenner solution - Complete

    I just hooked up my stenner to my Easytouch. Something dawned on me that you ought to consider as well. Set up a egg timer on the circuit you are using to operate the pump. If someone accidentally hits the button on the remote for that circuit, the pump will empty your 15 gal of bleach into the pool.
    IG 23K Gal, Quad DE 80, PebbleSheen, Intelliflo VS+SVRS, MT 400 NG, Stenner Pump

  12. Back To Top    #12

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    37

    Re: Need feedback on my proposed Stenner solution - Complete

    Quote Originally Posted by loweran
    I just hooked up my stenner to my Easytouch. Something dawned on me that you ought to consider as well. Set up a egg timer on the circuit you are using to operate the pump. If someone accidentally hits the button on the remote for that circuit, the pump will empty your 15 gal of bleach into the pool.
    Yea, that is a good idea. I do my injections in 10-15 bursts so setting the egg timer to 15 mins or something prevents 12 hours or runtime which is the default egg timer when you hit a button. Good call on that.

    Thanks!

    Steve
    25,000 gallon saltwater in-ground pool with in-floor cleaners. Medium lagoon plaster. Jandy pump and heater and Glacier Pool chiller. Use iRobot Verro pool cleaner.

  13. Back To Top    #13

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,129

    Re: Need feedback on my proposed Stenner solution - Complete

    What tank is that and where did you buy it?

    Nice install btw!
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

  14. Back To Top    #14

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    37

    Re: Need feedback on my proposed Stenner solution - Complete

    Quote Originally Posted by carlscan26
    What tank is that and where did you buy it?

    Nice install btw!
    That tank is from US Water Systems. I also bought the pump from them. This tank had the right diameter (14" vs 20.5 for the Stenner tank). Tank is very well built. I drilled a hole for the rubber plug. It also has a childproof lid lock so pretty nice overall. Also was a little cheaper than the Stenner tank.

    Steve
    25,000 gallon saltwater in-ground pool with in-floor cleaners. Medium lagoon plaster. Jandy pump and heater and Glacier Pool chiller. Use iRobot Verro pool cleaner.

  15. Back To Top    #15

    Re: Need feedback on my proposed Stenner solution

    Quote Originally Posted by skamp
    The one question I have is on the last picture the tube is not in the middle of the rollers. Is that normal? Let me know.
    You'll want to make sure you get the tube in the center of the rollers otherwise it may lead to premature tube ware. If you loosen up the head a bit and turn the pump on you can direct it towards the center of the rollers by slightly rotating the tube.

    Be sure to tighten the head back up before use.

  16. Back To Top    #16

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,129

    Re: Need feedback on my proposed Stenner solution - Complete

    Quote Originally Posted by skamp
    Quote Originally Posted by carlscan26
    What tank is that and where did you buy it?

    Nice install btw!
    That tank is from US Water Systems. I also bought the pump from them. This tank had the right diameter (14" vs 20.5 for the Stenner tank). Tank is very well built. I drilled a hole for the rubber plug. It also has a childproof lid lock so pretty nice overall. Also was a little cheaper than the Stenner tank.

    Steve
    Steve, did the pump come with the rubber plug or did you get that from usplastics? I was measuring last night and realized I can't fit the stenner tank either. But this one will fit nicely. Do you know if it blocks UV?
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

  17. Back To Top    #17

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    37

    Re: Need feedback on my proposed Stenner solution - Complete

    Quote Originally Posted by carlscan26
    Quote Originally Posted by skamp
    Quote Originally Posted by carlscan26
    What tank is that and where did you buy it?

    Nice install btw!
    That tank is from US Water Systems. I also bought the pump from them. This tank had the right diameter (14" vs 20.5 for the Stenner tank). Tank is very well built. I drilled a hole for the rubber plug. It also has a childproof lid lock so pretty nice overall. Also was a little cheaper than the Stenner tank.

    Steve
    Steve, did the pump come with the rubber plug or did you get that from usplastics? I was measuring last night and realized I can't fit the stenner tank either. But this one will fit nicely. Do you know if it blocks UV?
    No, I got it at Lowes in the hardware section. It was like a dollar or so. Not sure about the UV but I used it in 100+* weather this summer with the sun beating on it and did not seem to loose the strength of the bleach.

    Steve
    25,000 gallon saltwater in-ground pool with in-floor cleaners. Medium lagoon plaster. Jandy pump and heater and Glacier Pool chiller. Use iRobot Verro pool cleaner.

  18. Back To Top    #18

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,129

    Re: Need feedback on my proposed Stenner solution - Complete

    Thanks Steve. Did you leave it loose or is it tight? It seems like the Stenner tanks have some loose-ness around the overlow opening; I onde rif htye use that as a vent also?
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

  19. Back To Top    #19

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Cypress, TX
    Posts
    37

    Re: Need feedback on my proposed Stenner solution - Complete

    Quote Originally Posted by carlscan26
    Thanks Steve. Did you leave it loose or is it tight? It seems like the Stenner tanks have some loose-ness around the overlow opening; I onde rif htye use that as a vent also?
    I leave the plug semi tight. The lid has quite a bit of slack so can vent through that. It does have a childproof mechanism but is pretty loose fitting so does not make a vapor tight seal.

    Steve
    25,000 gallon saltwater in-ground pool with in-floor cleaners. Medium lagoon plaster. Jandy pump and heater and Glacier Pool chiller. Use iRobot Verro pool cleaner.

  20. Back To Top    #20

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,129

    Re: Need feedback on my proposed Stenner solution - Complete

    Thanks again Steve
    15,600 Gallon, 16' x 32' In-Ground Vinyl Pool
    Pentair VS 3050 pump, Quad DE 60 filter and SunTouch controller
    8 gallon Liquidator, Aquatherm EcoSun Solar Panels, 2 wheel ThePoolCleaner

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •