Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: TA crept up; aeration not lowering PH much

1. Back To Top    #1

TA crept up; aeration not lowering PH much

When we started we had a high TA: 220. We got it down to 60. In the last 6 weeks or so it has crept back up to 90.

I did the same process as before: aeration to raise PH, then added MA to bring TA down.

My TA is now 80. I think I read that 70 is ideal for a SWG pool.

We still have the aeration going, but the PH seems stuck at about 7.2 for about 36 hours now, even after swimming 5 dogs and 3 people (lots of splashing!).

My other numbers are ok. Working on adjusting the SWG to get the FC where I want it. Right now they are:

FC: 7.0
    PH: 7.2
    TA: 80
    CYA: 75

Any suggestions? How am I doing with my water balancing for the new SWG? Any numbers you'd tweak? I'm inclined to run a tad high on the FC because we swim the dogs daily.

Thanks!
    20,000 Gallon Vinyl Splash AG pool. Goldline SWG. Two sand filters w. 1.5HP Sgl Spd pumps. Lexan Aqua Shield dome. Solar heating, with propane back-up.
    Camas, WA

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: TA crept up; aeration not lowering PH much

Based on what you have described, I wouldn't change anything. It's a good idea and no harm at all to run the FC a little higher due to the dogs use of the pool.

The lower the TA, the more slowly your pH will rise with aeration. I wouldn't worry about your TA at this point. 80 is ok. 70 may be better for you but it sounds as though your pH is holding nicely despite the TA being 80.

3. Back To Top    #3

Yup, if with TA at 80 your PH is stable...leave it
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks everyone! We are really happy with the SWG: it is running for 12 hours (its on the same line as our solar so its running for longer) at just shy of 10% and maintaining the FC beautifully!
    20,000 Gallon Vinyl Splash AG pool. Goldline SWG. Two sand filters w. 1.5HP Sgl Spd pumps. Lexan Aqua Shield dome. Solar heating, with propane back-up.
    Camas, WA

5. Back To Top    #5

The reason for choosing a lower TA is to keep the ph from rising too rapidly. Sounds like you hit the mark.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]

6. Back To Top    #6

I guess I never fully understood the reason for the lower TA. That's a nice clarifier, thanks!
    Camas, WA