Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: to renew or not renew home warrenty for pool

1. Back To Top    #1

to renew or not renew home warrenty for pool

I can't believe it but we are coming up on our one year anniversary in our new digs in July. Thanks to TFP, I am definitely a much more confidant pool owner this summer! Am still trying to find that "sweet spot" but already having 100 degree days, I pretty much think adding bleach every day is gonna be the way it goes for now.
    Anyhoo, our home warranty is up for renewal and we are debating whether we need to keep the part for the pool (additional $150). Since we have moved in, this is what has been replaced: pump motor, both filters and cartridges, psi thingys, the light and we have re tiled and replastered as well.
    We want to be prudent, but I think all the major stuff has been replaced now. would love the insight of the oh so wise folks here!
    Thanks,
    B
    15,000 gallons, Cartridge Filters, IG,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: to renew or not renew home warrenty for pool

Home warranties are a bad idea all the way around. Don't get one on your pool or house.
    13k gallon IG gunite pool
    Jandy 2 speed pump
    Jandy cartridge filter
    Stenner Pump and tank

3. Back To Top    #3

... unless the seller is paying.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by texasdad
    Home warranties are a bad idea all the way around. Don't get one on your pool or house.
    The pool aside, we wish we had had a home warranty on our house that first year. It was amazing how many things were not evident during the home inspection but broke, stopped working, or fell apart within our first 12 months in the house.

Lana
    23,600 gallon, refurbished 1960's inground concrete, Jandy sand filter w Jandy 2 hp variable speed pump, Pool Pilot Digital SWCG+Chemtrol 2100+CO2 tank; PebbleTec White Pearl with 10% Cobalt Blue Dark Beadcrete by Olympic Pool Plastering, Georgia. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit; Aqua Check Salt test; LaMotte borates test, and Jack's Magic Sequest test kit; SparklyPoolitis level: extremely high.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by bubbles
    Anyhoo, our home warranty is up for renewal and we are debating whether we need to keep the part for the pool (additional $150). Since we have moved in, this is what has been replaced: pump motor, both filters and cartridges, psi thingys, the light and we have re tiled and replastered as well.
    If the home warranty covered parts and labor for all of those things, then I think that it is worth it to renew the pool part.

6. Back To Top    #6

We just sold our home last fall. We offered/paid for a home warranty with the pool rider for our sellers. (We had a home warranty when we bought the house with the pool rider.) In my opinion it was insurance for our reputation more than covering for repairs. We had no issues with our home or pool upon selling and for us the warranty was our way of saying that just in case we missed something, you're covered.

That being said, I wouldn't renew. It's more of a hassle dealing with the warranty company than it's worth to just call your own contractor and get an issue taken care of. Even with a brand new home...we are tiring of having to call the warranty people to deal with things that my local guys could handle the right way the first time because I'M paying them to.
    Backyard pool-less, but used to be.....
    16,100 gallon, 18x38 3.5 ft deep oval AG, Vinyl, Sand, 1hp pump
    http://www.poolservicestech.com Liquidator
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/
    http://www.tftestkits.net TFT100 test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

I have used my home warranty twice. Never had a problem and got stuff fixed within two days both times. One was a loose toilet and they came out and fixed it. He had to remove the whole toilet and reset it and all. The next one was my electrical box outside was very loose and got it remounted. I know these do not sound like big things, but only cost me 60.00 each time. So was worth it for me. Now it is a gamble you take.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits