Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: After 5 years closed, from black to cloudy blue: now what?

1. Back To Top    #1

After 5 years closed, from black to cloudy blue: now what?

My black putrid swamp has in 3 weeks been transformed to a lovely blue. But it is quite opaque. The pool store recommends a floc treatment. Should I do this? I am running the pool 24/7 and the Polaris most of the daylight hours. Initially, I had to backwash every hour (when I was home and not asleep). Now, after 3 weeks, it can go for 1-1/2 or 2 hour before needing backwashing. The Polaris is not picking up any leaves or twigs, just a black/brown slime and a little sand.
    FC: 2.8
    CC: 0.2
    TC: 3.0
    pH: 7.5
    TA: 115
    CH: 230
    CYA: 40

Thanks for any help.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    30K, vinyl, 1 HP pump, sand filter, Polaris 360, pool built 1968, 1 skimmer, no drain

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: After 5 years closed, from black to cloudy blue: now wha

As long as you're still picking up stuff, it's probably too soon to think about floc. Keep shocking. It didn't get black in 3 weeks, it's not going to turn clear that fast, either.

Once the vacuum stops making a noticeable difference, and the water is just hazy, it might be okay to try a flocculant or a clarifier. But get it clear first.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!

Richard is right. You don't need to floc. You need to shock and shock level for you is 16 ppm. You are at 2.8 which is too low for anything. Shock until you have 0.5 CC or less, your water loses no more than 1 ppm FC overnight, and you water is clear.

4. Back To Top    #4

Update - You were right. Following your advice, I did not use floc but did increase the chlorine and continued to backwash very frequently. Result is a crystal clear beautiful pool. Thank you so much.

One question: I have on hand some Pool Perfect and Phos Free. Should I use them? If so, is this in addition to or in lieu of algaecide?

When we first bought our house with an existing pool some years ago, keeping the pool clean and clear was an ongoing struggle that I usually lost even as I spent excessive amounts at the pool store. Using the simple strategies of your website has made having a pool an enjoyable experience. Thanks again for having this site.
    30K, vinyl, 1 HP pump, sand filter, Polaris 360, pool built 1968, 1 skimmer, no drain

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by dayna

One question: I have on hand some Pool Perfect and Phos Free. Should I use them? If so, is this in addition to or in lieu of algaecide?
    C'mon now those are pool store products. No need for it, just you keep your chemistry in check
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

6. Back To Top    #6

You don't need Pool Perfect, Phos Free or Algicide

Pool Perfect is an enzyme product for breaking down oils in the water - sunscreen etc. Chlorine will break these things down in normal use.

Phis Free will remove Phosphates. Algae can eat phosphates - but if you keep the chlorine in the pool correctly there wont be any algae - so phosfree is just an expensive solution in search of a problem.

Algicides can provide some protection BUT many Algicides contain metals which can cause staining, green hair, etc. Non-metal Algicides exist but are expensive and unnecessary in a properly maintained pool.
    16K Gal Plaster | Compupool SWG | Intelliflow VF | TF-100

7. Back To Top    #7

Been wanting to use that one...

Why no joy? C'mon... show us!

Congrats BTW.
    Where kids swim in 54 degree water, turn blue, and giggle happily cuz they got a POOL!
    Year 3 BBB -15' x 48" Intex Metal Frame - Was using (2) 1000gph Intex cartridge filters (see Full time pumping Intex). 2012, converted to 1600gph and sand filter+SWG = Sand filter love affair!
    Don't waste time and energy looking for a better value on test kits, the TF100 is the best deal around. I did the looking and spent the extra money, but you don't have to make the same mistake. Just go here: TFTestkits. I use Pool Calculator for min/max, and shocking chlorine levels.

8. Back To Top    #8

Here goes. Thanks, everyone!
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. Back To Top    #9

You're not actually going to swim in that, are you?

It's got bleach in it!!!

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!