Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Trouble lowering my CC's

1. Back To Top    #1

Trouble lowering my CC's

Hello. I recently did an ascorbic acid treatment. Apparently I also got an algae bloom along with it. New to me. So now I have been shocking the pool for six days. The pool looks great but I seem to be having a hard time getting the CC's lower. Six days ago CC was at 3.0. One day later it was up to the high of 4.0. It has slowly gone down to 2.0 and that is where it has been for three days. Here are my numbers: FC 24 CC 2.0 pH 7.2-7.4 TA 120 cya 50 CH 130.

Is there anything else for me to be doing other than shocking, brushing, vacuuming and looking at my clear pool? Am I missing something Thanks for the help
    Outdoor fiberglass inground 15,000 gallons, Clean & Clear Plus 420ft. sq. filter, 1 h.p. WhisperFlo pump, New water cycler automatic chlorinater(not using), 1996 pool, TF-100 test kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Trouble lowering my CC's

Any chance there's any organic material in the strainer basket or the filter? They'll use up FC and leave you with CC.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

I cleaned the filter last week, but it is probably worth doing again. Thanks for the bump.
    Outdoor fiberglass inground 15,000 gallons, Clean & Clear Plus 420ft. sq. filter, 1 h.p. WhisperFlo pump, New water cycler automatic chlorinater(not using), 1996 pool, TF-100 test kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Make sure the pool is uncovered and exposed to sunlight while at shock level.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

I cleaned the filters. Baskets are clean. The pool is uncovered. It has been 13 days straight of "shocking". Last night FC was 37. This morning it was 33 with CC 1.5. I know the right thing to do is continue to shock. I'm considering stopping. The pool looks clear and it has looked clear for over 12 days. I'm considering only running the pump 8 hours a day instead of 24. Shock level should 24, so maybe lowering to a target of 12-15. Adding some polyguat 60. Swimming/using it and see what happens. I've lost my patience and it seems like this "shocking" will never work.
    Any feedback or encouragement appreciated. Thanks.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

I know the right thing to do is continue to shock. I'm considering stopping.
    Those two don't add up. If you know the right thing to do (and you do), why would you stop?

With a CYA of 50, your shock value would be 20ppm. Bringing your FC up as high as you are may or may not help but I see no real reason for you to do it when 20ppm will suffice.

Swim and use the pool if you let your FC go down to 20....It's fine to do that.

Polyquat will do you no good.

Don't be surprised if the CC doesn't go to ,5 or less pretty soon. It's been on a downward path and it will continue downward.

PS - has your filter been cleaned/backwashed?....oops! disregard. I see now that you have done that.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

Well, are you confident about the CYA test?

According to your tests, losing 4FC overnight means you definitely have organics in your pool.

Light fixture? Is there any way for fertilizer to enter the pool? Could organics be reintroduced thru contaminated equipment, tools, toys?

Sorry, Plucky, I'm just thowing stuff out there for possibilities.......
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

I tested CYA again and it is 60. I do have three light fixtures. Is there something special to do when you have light fixtures?

9. Back To Top    #9

Well, algae can hide out in the light fixtures and be hard to clear.

If you were basing your shock level on 50 CYA, it looks like the shock level could have been a little low? So increasing your shock level FC should help plenty

When you get done shocking your pool, I suggest you increase your CH to the recommended level for FG - 220 to 320. Higher CH has been shown to protect your pool from cobalt staining.
    TFP Moderator TF100 Test Kit TF100 TestKit YouTube Channel PoolMath
    You're done SLAMing when:
    1)You lose 1ppm or less FC overnight, & 2)You have .5ppm CC's or less, & 3)your water is clear.

~ One should not use a sledge hammer to swat a mosquito. ~

If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

10. Back To Top    #10

Hi

Butterfly asked me to check out this thread.

The algae/ 'bio-nasties' might be hiding in the low circulation areas of your pool (in the skimmer mouths/ bodies, the light niches, under the ladder treads...)

If you can, while your cl is at ~ shock, brush those areas and physically expose, and loosen, the bio-nasty to the shock level chlorine. The lights are held in, usually, by 1 Phillips-head screw at the top- if you need any help with getting a light in or out, just ask
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

11. Back To Top    #11

Thanks everyone. I will have to take a look at my lights. Do you think the remaining Ascorbic Acid could be using up the chlorine and contributing to the CC ?

12. Back To Top    #12

I checked on the lights. They are fiber optic lights. I don't see any screws to remove them. There are two holes in the face of each light. Any thoughts on removing them?

13. Back To Top    #13

If you have the fiber-optic lights, I wouldn't worry about cleaning the inside. (if you somehow got algae in there, it couldn't get into the pool without the pool leaking [because the o-ring was bad])
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)