Trouble lowering my CC's

plucky71

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 18, 2010
Michigan
Hello. I recently did an ascorbic acid treatment. Apparently I also got an algae bloom along with it. New to me. So now I have been shocking the pool for six days. The pool looks great but I seem to be having a hard time getting the CC's lower. Six days ago CC was at 3.0. One day later it was up to the high of 4.0. It has slowly gone down to 2.0 and that is where it has been for three days. Here are my numbers: FC 24 CC 2.0 pH 7.2-7.4 TA 120 cya 50 CH 130.

Is there anything else for me to be doing other than shocking, brushing, vacuuming and looking at my clear pool? Am I missing something :?: Thanks for the help :!:

I cleaned the filters. Baskets are clean. The pool is uncovered. It has been 13 days straight of "shocking". Last night FC was 37. This morning it was 33 with CC 1.5. I know the right thing to do is continue to shock. I'm considering stopping. The pool looks clear and it has looked clear for over 12 days. I'm considering only running the pump 8 hours a day instead of 24. Shock level should 24, so maybe lowering to a target of 12-15. Adding some polyguat 60. Swimming/using it and see what happens. I've lost my patience and it seems like this "shocking" will never work.
Any feedback or encouragement appreciated. Thanks.

I know the right thing to do is continue to shock. I'm considering stopping.
Those two don't add up. If you know the right thing to do (and you do), why would you stop?

With a CYA of 50, your shock value would be 20ppm. Bringing your FC up as high as you are may or may not help but I see no real reason for you to do it when 20ppm will suffice.

Swim and use the pool if you let your FC go down to 20....It's fine to do that.

Polyquat will do you no good.

Don't be surprised if the CC doesn't go to ,5 or less pretty soon. It's been on a downward path and it will continue downward.

PS - has your filter been cleaned/backwashed?....oops! disregard. I see now that you have done that.

Well, are you confident about the CYA test?

According to your tests, losing 4FC overnight means you definitely have organics in your pool.

Light fixture? Is there any way for fertilizer to enter the pool? Could organics be reintroduced thru contaminated equipment, tools, toys? :scratch:

Sorry, Plucky, I'm just thowing stuff out there for possibilities.......

Well, algae can hide out in the light fixtures and be hard to clear.

If you were basing your shock level on 50 CYA, it looks like the shock level could have been a little low? So increasing your shock level FC should help plenty :goodjob:

When you get done shocking your pool, I suggest you increase your CH to the recommended level for FG - 220 to 320. Higher CH has been shown to protect your pool from cobalt staining.

Hi :wave:

Butterfly asked me to check out this thread.

The algae/ 'bio-nasties' might be hiding in the low circulation areas of your pool (in the skimmer mouths/ bodies, the light niches, under the ladder treads...)

If you can, while your cl is at ~ shock, brush those areas and physically expose, and loosen, the bio-nasty to the shock level chlorine. The lights are held in, usually, by 1 Phillips-head screw at the top- if you need any help with getting a light in or out, just ask :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.