Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Borate and salt levels

1. Back To Top    #1

Borate and salt levels

Forgive me if I am blind but...

Where can I find the suggested levels of borate and salt levels in the pool?

Can the TF100 test for borates and salt?

Thanks!
    Suley, West Hills, CA
    IG 23000 Gallons with IG Spa Gunite plaster, Pentair Intelliflo VS 3HP, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 Cartridge filter, Teledyne Laars One series 400,000 BTU Nat Gas Heater, Hayward Max Flo 1HP Single Speed Spa pump, Noisy Spa blower, Dolphin Deluxe 4 robotic vacuum.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Borate and salt levels

No, you need strips for these. You can get them at the same time as your TF-100 for a discount.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieH
    No, you need strips for these. You can get them at the same time as your TF-100 for a discount.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooo oooooooo
    Suley, West Hills, CA
    IG 23000 Gallons with IG Spa Gunite plaster, Pentair Intelliflo VS 3HP, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus 420 Cartridge filter, Teledyne Laars One series 400,000 BTU Nat Gas Heater, Hayward Max Flo 1HP Single Speed Spa pump, Noisy Spa blower, Dolphin Deluxe 4 robotic vacuum.

4. Back To Top    #4

Salt is optional if your don't have a SWG. The appropriate salt level depends on why you are adding salt. If adding salt for improved water feel, target 2,000 ppm. For a SWG, see your SWG manual. Borates are optional. The target range for borates is between 30 and 50 ppm.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Sorry for disappearing for a bit...fell ill and just recovered...

If i add borax then do i have the option to convert to SWG in the future?

Thanks!
    Suley, West Hills, CA

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, you can use borax with or without the use of a SWG.
    30,000 gallon gunite in-ground with a spillover spa, Diving board and water slide
    Hayward 1 HP Super II filter pump, Hayward 24 " Sand Filter Pro Series using zeolite media
    Polaris 380 cleaner with ¾ HP booster pump, Hayward Heatmaster pool heater, AutoPilot DIG-220 Power Supply SC-60 cell
    Testing with the TF-100 Test Kit