Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump output leaking...what the heck...

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump output leaking...what the heck...

I have installed a new pump and even valve, I have had to screw in the connections much tighter than I thought. The one that appears to leak is the one from the top of the pump to the valve. I have a PentAir WhisperFlo 1 1/2HP (up-rated) dual speed pump and DE filter. The pipes are 1 1/2 in and I convert at the pump from 2in to 1 1/2in. The places where I glue are fine, no leaks. The valve fittings are good, no leaks. Just the top of the filter.

My issue is I've replaced the fitting 4 times and every time I get a leak. I used a wrench the last time and basically see no thread now but still, a small leak. Should I just glue it in??? I'm sooo tempted but thought I'd post here first. I am wrapping with teflon tape, first it was once around now I have it wrapped about 5 times thick. Is there something else I can try? Should I glue around the top...it's driving me nuts...
    40x20 Vinyl Inground (27,000 gal). SWG with Pentair 48 DE Filter.
    Also have a broken Polaris pump with no polaris and a broken AquaCal Heat Pump...inherited from last owner.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump output leaking...what the heck...

Sounds like a crack in the neck. Check it very closely. Try some plastic pipe paste instead of t-tape.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP!!

Try what Dave suggests, if it still leaks let us (me) know
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    Sounds like a crack in the neck. Check it very closely. Try some plastic pipe paste instead of t-tape.
    Will try this tomorrow. By neck, you mean the PVC right? I bought a strap wrench and found some T plus 2 dope I can use. Will post the results tomorrow.

Tom
    Also have a broken Polaris pump with no polaris and a broken AquaCal Heat Pump...inherited from last owner.

5. Back To Top    #5

I meant the neck of the pump but now I've gone back and reread your post and I'm confused

You said
    The one that appears to leak is the one from the top of the pump to the valve.
    But then you said
    Just the top of the filter.
    When I wrote what I wrote, I was thinking the discharge neck of the pump.
    Whichever it is, my recommendation is still sound.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

6. Back To Top    #6

I meant the neck of the pump but now I've gone back and reread your post and I'm confused

You said
    The one that appears to leak is the one from the top of the pump to the valve.
    But then you said[quote:2s4cfzxx]Just the top of the filter.
    When I wrote what I wrote, I was thinking the discharge neck of the pump.
    Whichever it is, my recommendation is still sound.[/quote:2s4cfzxx]

I meant pump for both, Filter doesn't leak. Sorry about that...

7. Back To Top    #7

Arggg. Still leaking i wonder if water is getting out between the housing and the female threads. Should I use silicone caulk at this point or glue the outside with PVC glue?

8. Back To Top    #8

Clean it real well and try the silicone. I'd only use pvc cement as a very last resort.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Still leaks I must not have gotten the silicone set. Will try again but failing that it'll be glue time. I'll use a threaded nipple or compression union I guess.

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by magicalyak
    Still leaks I must not have gotten the silicone set. Will try again but failing that it'll be glue time. I'll use a threaded nipple or compression union I guess.
    I picked up an Oatey Fix It stick at Lowes. I'm going to give it a try. Sounds like it'll probably be just what I need especially if the leak is coming not from the thread but just to the side of it (or if it is the thread!).

Tom

11. Back To Top    #11

Small cracks can be a pain to find and fix. Hopefully the Fix-It will help out. It still sounds like a crack to me.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

12. Back To Top    #12

Small cracks can be a pain to find and fix. Hopefully the Fix-It will help out. It still sounds like a crack to me.
    Fix it didn't fix it. Here's my plan. remove the fix it which is gonna suck but hopefully it didn't bond to well and will slide off the top. I'm going to screw in the thread using RectorSeal 5 (instead of T plus 2) 5 will harden a bit so that should help. I plan to overtighten the threads to minimize the leaking or crack (which I can't see). Hopefully the crack should present itself and I can use primer and cement to fuse it (overtighten, cement and unscrew to compress). Otherwise I plan to use silicone caulk and let it fully cure this time. I can't beleive that it would hold in the water, it's not spurting just a very slow leak that pools and rolls off the side. I'm going to use a union on the output pipe so I can go back without repiping it again.

I'll post a picture if it's of any help but this is more a status update at this point.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by magicalyak
    Fix it didn't fix it. Here's my plan. remove the fix it which is gonna suck but hopefully it didn't bond to well and will slide off the top. I'm going to screw in the thread using RectorSeal 5 (instead of T plus 2) 5 will harden a bit so that should help. I plan to overtighten the threads to minimize the leaking or crack (which I can't see). Hopefully the crack should present itself and I can use primer and cement to fuse it (overtighten, cement and unscrew to compress). Otherwise I plan to use silicone caulk and let it fully cure this time. I can't beleive that it would hold in the water, it's not spurting just a very slow leak that pools and rolls off the side. I'm going to use a union on the output pipe so I can go back without repiping it again.

I'll post a picture if it's of any help but this is more a status update at this point.
    Going to use Recorseal T plus 2 after reading another post about 5 softening the threads..the plumber in the post said apply Recotrseal Tplus2 thin, wrap tape, apply another coat.

14. Back To Top    #14

Let us know if that works for you.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

15. Back To Top    #15

So far so good!!! I am surprised that it worked. If it does leak at this point I'm sure caulk will fix it. I turned the threaded part tight though

16. Back To Top    #16

We'll have to remember that trick in the future.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

17. Back To Top    #17

While I'm very happy it's working, this isn't the way I'd have done it I truly hope this is a ~ permanent fix! If it fails, I'll tell you a different way of making the fix
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)