Manual Vac Issues same with automatic vac?

fordfampool

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 9, 2011
Wisconsin
I was out manually vacuuming the pool this morning and thinking how nice it will be to get an automatic cleaner.

I was having issues manually vacuuming such as not great suction and the vacuum kept flipping up on me (either forwards or backwards, like parallel to the pole). Our pool is 18x38 and it took a good hour and half to vacuum the leftovers of the rain shower yesterday. It didn't really seem to suck up the dirt either, but leaves it was okay with. Our pool has sloped edges (about 45 degrees in deep end, and a little less as it transitions to the shallow end). I had a time trying to get it to lay flat on the sloped edges. It was much better on the flat parts.

FYI -The flow was set to full skim and there are "weights" on the end of the hose that attaches to the vacuum head I think (I think it's part of the hose). Our pool is 36,000 gallons and the pump is 1.5HP. Also, our pump is located about 12 feet from the pool and above the water level about 6 inches.

Is this a case of vacuum user error?

If I purchase a vac (such as Kreepy Krauly Kruiser) will I still have these same issues?

Thanks! :)
Sarah

My pool is very similar to yours and I had the same concerns as you regarding an automatic vac's ability to the navigate and remove sediment that collects along the wall transition angles. I purchased The Pool Cleaner, 4 wheel version and it has no problems cleaning those areas.

BTW, how did you arrive at 36K gallons for your pool volume? I have the same pool and dimensions and mine only holds about 24K.

mx702 said:
how did you arrive at 36K gallons for your pool volume? I have the same pool and dimensions and mine only holds about 24K.

I was told that by my very reputable pool company. They would not lie, nor dare have incorrect information on file from the previous owner, LOL.

You might be on to something here.

Here is my best guess:
18ft*38ft*3.5*0.5 = 1197
18ft*38ft*8.0*0.5 = 2736 (high estimate, as the deep end slopes in on all sides starting... maybe 2.5 feet down)
2736+1197 = 3933 Cubic feet

1 cubic foot = 7.48051948 US gallons (per google)

3933*7.4805 = 29420.8 gal.

Say, minus ~5000 gal. for the deep end walls not being straight down would put me right around 24k. Imagine that! :)

Thanks for the heads up.
-Mike

Have you checked the pressure on your filter? Have you checked the pump basket to make sure it is not impacted with leaves? I also would recommend the four wheeled pool cleaner

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.