Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Newbie with a question......... please help

1. Back To Top    #1

Newbie with a question......... please help

just finished filing my 24ft above ground with water for the very first time. It has a hayward sand filter. When I depress the valve selector handle water immediately flows from the waste line. The pool center that sold me the pool said this is is normal. Another pool center told me that the wagon wheel gasket was not installed right?? Which should I believe...???

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Newbie with a question......... please help

Believe the first one. On an above ground pool where the equipment is lower than the waterline (almost all of them are) whenever you open the water path (depressing the handle counts) water will flow from the waste port. Depressing the selector handle actually lifts the plug off the gasket so all the ports are connected at that point. Once you move it around and release it, the plug sits back down on the gasket sealing off to it.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by gregmullins
    just finished filing my 24ft above ground with water for the very first time. It has a hayward sand filter. When I depress the valve selector handle water immediately flows from the waste line. The pool center that sold me the pool said this is is normal. Another pool center told me that the wagon wheel gasket was not installed right?? Which should I believe...???
    Is the pump on when you are pressing the lever?

Always turn the pump off BEFORE you change positions on the valve, otherwise you will tear the "spider-gasket" (the wagon-wheel gasket) in the valve.

If the pump is turned off and the valve is lower than the water line there will be some water that goes to the waste line but not much... Good old GRAVITY!

Terry in NC
    Triad Region of NC
    18x37 Vinyl IG (24,000 gal.), BBB & GoldLine AquaLogic PS4 SWG, Hayward 1 HP Superpump / Hayward Sand Filter / Polaris 280 cleaner / 6 deck jets / Sheer Descent Waterfall (in coping) / Brick Red Concrete Coping / Stamped Concrete Deck
    Lots of oak trees, maple trees, *and* leaves!

4. Back To Top    #4

thanks to all........... done my initial backwash and vauum lastnight. Tested water, with a test strip ( I know, I know), and added first round of chemicals......... going to test again this evening and vacuum again, hopefully have it ready to go for the weekend..............