Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High PSI on sand filter......

1. Back To Top    #1

High PSI on sand filter......

After a six hour hard rain last night, these are my readings.
    FC 3
    PH 7.5
    TA 90
    CH 120
    CYA 40
    BR 40

My sand filter (without DE, sand only) PSI has been 17 PSI clean and 18PSI dirty this entire year. Early on I had one day of 13 PSI. I acid cleaned the sand today and the pressure is still 18 PSI. The return water will almost float you away and blasts powerfully agaist my hand. The water stays crystal clear except today because of the storm. I should have it brushed and cleaned up later today.

Waht do you think about the PSI?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: High PSI on sand filter......

What size eyeball do you have?
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Does the pressure go to zero when you shut the pump off?
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

4. Back To Top    #4

About the same size as your...LOL....seriously its a 2 inch gauge. The pressure drops to zero when the pump is off.

5. Back To Top    #5

I am thinking about adding the DE but I was concerned about the current pressure before I add something that will raise the pressure another 1 PSI.

6. Back To Top    #6

I just read this for the second time, and 17 clean and 18 dirty isn't right. Where did you get the info that a rise in 1 psi means it is dirty? 8 to 10 is more common.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

7. Back To Top    #7

My filter has been in operation for six years. I replacement the sand at the end of season 4 and converted from Baqucile to chlorine. Four the last 4 years the lowest reading has been 15 PSI, 18 PSI dirty. Now it will not go below 18 PSI after an acid wash.

8. Back To Top    #8

Hayward PowerFlo Matrix 1.5 hp, Hayward Vari-flo XL Valve and hayward Pro Series High Rate Sand Filter Model S210T

9. Back To Top    #9

I talked to my pool supply and they said that I had the proper amount of sand, 150#'s to allow good circulation and they know that I have replaced my gauge once. They said to ignore the gauge and go by return pressure. I always feel the return flow anyway. Maybe I need a new gauge. The system seems to be working great as far as cleaning and function goes....

10. Back To Top    #10

I'm gonna go with a faulty gauge. I have the same pump/filter set-up as you, and my gauge had corroded and failed in 2 years.
    I don't know enough to even know what I need to know.

11. Back To Top    #11

Not sure why you would acid wash a sand filter, other than just backwashing it, it may be possible the acid damaged the guage

That said if your clean pressure is 15psi, 18 is not dirty, 22-25psi would be consider dirty. Every filter/pump combo is different...mine happens to run at 18psi clean.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

12. Back To Top    #12

High PSI on sand filter......

Should the gauge drop to zero with the pump off? Mine doesn't.
    31,000G IG vinyl 20X40 True L. Hayward 1.5 superpump, Autopilot Pool Pilot Digital SWG, Hayward Model S244T 300lb sand filter, TF100 kit

13. Back To Top    #13

Home Warranty just replaced my DE filter with a Sand Filter and it runs 18psi clean. The installer said that this is normal.
    Former Intex Owner, switching to 15,000 gallon AGP with Hayward E200 sand filter & 1.5 HP Power-Flo LX Pump.

14. Back To Top    #14

Quote Originally Posted by jsw5620
    Yes it should.
    TFP Moderator
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by DA INFERNO
    Home Warranty just replaced my DE filter with a Sand Filter and it runs 18psi clean. The installer said that this is normal.
    18 psi may be absolutely normal for one pool and equipment setup, but abnormally high for another. You can't compare a pressure reading for one pool with another.
    TFP Moderator

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    Quote Originally Posted by jsw5620
    Yes it should.
    What does it mean if it doesn't?
    31,000G IG vinyl 20X40 True L. Hayward 1.5 superpump, Autopilot Pool Pilot Digital SWG, Hayward Model S244T 300lb sand filter, TF100 kit

17. Back To Top    #17

jsw5620 -- It means that the gauge is broken. Or at very least that the zero is off and it shouldn't be trusted.

Ptblues2 -- I was asking about the eyeball fittings in the pool. If you have a small one it'll cause your pressure to be higher than if you have a large one.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

18. Back To Top    #18

LOL. I thought you were asking about the gauge. I will measure it later this morning.

19. Back To Top    #19

The eyeball is 3/4 inch. I have two the same size. Yesterday my return line popped loose and drained 5 inches of water from the pool. I am guessing the the pressure had something to do with it popping off. Anyway, I am balancing the chemicals again.

20. Back To Top    #20

(2) 3/4" eyeballs should be fine but you could change them to 1" if you wanted to lower the pressure and increase the flow.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast