Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Waiting for new salt cell...

1. Back To Top    #1

Waiting for new salt cell...

I'm waiting for a new salt cell as our old one has died. We have a 20,000 gallon inground fiberglass pool with a Hayward filter and pump and a Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWG. The new cell won't be here until next week and we are going out of town this weekend.

I know I need to get some bleach in the pool, but I've always relied on the Pool Store to tell me what to do and now want to try and use the TFP method. How much bleach should I put in?

FC = 0
    CC = 0
    pH = 7.9
    TA = 87
    CYA = 40
    Salt = 3100

Just hoping to keep the water from turning green while we are away for the weekend and until we can get the salt cell in and the SWG back to normal operation.

Thank you for your help.
    Mandy
    20,000 gallon fiberglass inground pool * Hayward sand filter and pump * Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWG * Jandy Aqualink Control System

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Waiting for new salt cell...

912 oz 4.5% bleach.
    88 oz Muriatic acid 20' baume
    That'll take you to shock level for your CYA and drop your pH a smidge.
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you.

Just to make sure I understand...I should put the muratic acid in at the return with the pump on for 30 minutes and then add the bleach. Do I add the bleach at the return or the skimmer and do I put all 912 oz in at the same time?

When I get home on Sunday should I test for chlorine and add more bleach to keep it at shock level?
    Mandy
    20,000 gallon fiberglass inground pool * Hayward sand filter and pump * Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWG * Jandy Aqualink Control System

4. Back To Top    #4

I'd add both in front of the return(s). You shouldn't need to return to shock level on Sunday unless you've let the FC go below 3ppm. Even then, if your water is still clear you could take it up to 7ppm and keep an eye out for issues.
    Self built 5500 gallon bare concrete (temporarily) pool with limestone coping, Pentair Swimmey 1/2 HP pump, Triton sand filter with DE, Simpool peristaltic muriatic acid pump with pH sensor and Monarch SWG. Home made solar heater with Pentair Compool control panel and 3 way valve. 1 skimmer, 1 main drain, 2 returns, 2" plumbing, Hayward auto fill valve.

5. Back To Top    #5

one more question...do I keep the pump running 24 hours a day until I return or just my normal run time during the day?

Thanks.
    Mandy

6. Back To Top    #6

Normal runtime should be fine