Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about Intex SWG and water level in unit

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about Intex SWG and water level in unit

I have the Intex SWG new model and the water level in the oval chamber is only 3/4 of the way full. If i pick up the unit the air will leave but within minutes it fills with air again. Is this how the other units look?

Another question about the removal of the copper ionization piece. I have read reports were people say they remove the copper and or just unplug it. You can't do that I unplugged it and water leaks out of it where it was plugged in, and you can't remove the copper either because it leaves a big hole in it. What I ended up doing was using one of the Intex plugs under the cap with the wire unplugged, but the copper is still in the unit as I didn't have anything to plug up the hole if you remove the copper. How has this been done?

I have attached a picture of the oval unit so you can see what I mean, does your not fill this entire chamber?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about Intex SWG and water level in unit

Quote Originally Posted by slowgin
    I have the Intex SWG new model and the water level in the oval chamber is only 3/4 of the way full. If i pick up the unit the air will leave but within minutes it fills with air again. Is this how the other units look?
    No. The SWG chamber/tube should be full and no or very little bubbles. If it's not, you're not getting enough water flow. I'm surprised the low flow alarm is not on.

Quote Originally Posted by slowgin
    What I ended up doing was using one of the Intex plugs under the cap with the wire unplugged, but the copper is still in the unit as I didn't have anything to plug up the hole if you remove the copper. How has this been done?
    That's fine. It won't hurt anything if the copper plates are still in there.
    24' x 52" AGP = 13.5k gallons
    Dynamo 2.0 HP pump,Sand Dollar sand filter
    Polaris 65 vacuum (good when there are a ton of leaves on bottom), Pool Rover Jr. (LOVE it, but power box dead right now), AquaCritter (an excellent suction side cleaner)

3. Back To Top    #3

As for the copper I cut them off completely with a hack saw then reinstalled the holder and unplugged the connection going to the copper anodes.

4. Back To Top    #4

Added picture of oval unit to original info.

5. Back To Top    #5

Back off a bit and take another picture. It may be hydrogen building up.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

Well, I have a litte problem..my water has too much copper in it and my liner is stained with patches of green. The water is crystal clear and looks great, except for those areas. I was thinking to remove those copper anodes or maybe not running the swg every day...is that a good idea? My pool has about 5000 gallons of water in it and I have it set for 2 hours a day. That's what the manual said to set it at. What would be the best thing to do?

Thanks!!!

7. Back To Top    #7

Removing the bars is a smart thing.

The only way to remove the copper is to replace the water. You can use sequestrant but if you do that you'll have to maintain a level until you replace enough of the water to get the copper level low enough to stop the staining.

Don't set the swg run time in some set amount of time. Run it based on test results.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Thank you so much for the advice..How do I clean the liner safely when I drain the pool? I'd like to get rid of those stains before I refill it. And when I do...either take those copper anodes out - or just run the swg a couple times a week? Thanks again for the help.

9. Back To Top    #9

You can take some vitamin C tablets and crush them up and hold them on the stains and then drain it and clean it. Vitamin C will sometimes take the stains off completely.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks again...I have those vitamin C tablets...always keep them around in case I get a cold or I feel one coming on....never thought they'd be good for my pool too! lolol!!

11. Back To Top    #11

You can disconnect the copper bars. Search around for threads and you should find the info.

- Sent using Tapatalk
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes I've heard about disconnecting them and I've also read about the benefits, but the threads I've read don't seem to answer the question of how to close the hole on top of the tubing when those copper anodes are removed where the plug goes into it. Maybe I missed that particular thread. Any ideas anyone on how to close up that opening? Thanks again!