Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found a kitten in my skimmer

1. Back To Top    #1

Found a kitten in my skimmer

Yesterday morning when I went out for a water sample, I knew the pump didn't sound right as soon as I opened the door. I've heard that sound before when the water level got too low overnight. But I knew it wasn't that because I had just topped it off before I went to bed. So I walked around to the back of the pool to see what was going on and there was water coming out of the skimmer. I put my finger in the whole of the lid to take if off when something hits my hand and starts making this horrific noise. So I immediately shut the pump off, should have done that first anyway, and run to the back door and start screaming for my husband because I have no idea what's in there and I'm too scared to look! When I was coming back towards the pool I see a little head, now sticking out inside the pool and I think it's a cat. He took the lid off and sure enough, only it's a little kitten! He put it on the ground and it was shaking violently and couldn't walk, could only pull itself a little bit. It was crying this horrible sound.....broke my heart. I went in and got a towel to try and wrap it up, it was pretty chilly outside and I wanted to get it dried off. Everytime I touched it, it screamed in pain so I didn't know what to do. I was pretty sure it would die and I didn't want it to have to suffer. I ended up going in the house and finding a cardboard box, warming some towels in the dryer and putting them in the box with a heating pad and some hot water bottles and brought the kitty in. It looked lifeless and you could barely see it breathe. I warmed it for a couple hours and called the vet. By the time I got it there it started to move about a bit.They checked it's temp and it was up to 89. So I stayed there for about 3 hours while they continued to warm it. They said it was a little girl and she only weighs 1 pound. She has no tail, not even a stub. She got a steroid shot and a shot of antibiotics, plus I have to give her meds twice a day for a week to help prevent pneumonia. They let us go once her temp came up to 99, said they would have hated to see what it was before I started warming her. Not sure about brain damage or poisoning from the high level of CL and I had just added CYA in a stocking in the skimmer the night before (was all gone in the morning).....said it would be a wait and see. I'm feeding her replacement milk with a syringe since she doesn't know how to drink from a bowl. Poor little baby, she is so sweet. Looks like she just found herself a home!
    24' Round 52" High AG, Waterway 125 SF Pro Clean 2HP, 2 SPD Cartridge Filter
    Pool Rover Jr. /TF-100 Test Kit/ BBB - Ex Baqua User

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Found a kitten in my skimmer

Omg, what a story. What will you name her?
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

3. Back To Top    #3

That's a touching story. I'm glad it has a good outcome.

I think you should name her Skimmy!
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

WOW!
    22,000 In-Ground Vinyl Fox Pool
    250,000 MiniMax Pentair natural gas heater
    4 returns 1 skimmer 1 main drain
    1hp Hayward Max Flow II single speed
    Sand fox pool Filter
    First year owner of the aforementioned.

5. Back To Top    #5

You have 52" AG pool--how did she get in there?
    12' round above ground pool. 3,500 gal. Vinyl liner. Waterway Supreme Hi-Flo 48 frame pump. 1.5 hp. SWG. Sand filter with Zeobrite.

Thanks, members of Trouble Free Pool, for being so friendly and informative!

6. Back To Top    #6

This is great. You should name her skimmer.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

7. Back To Top    #7

Still not 100% on a name, the girls were thinking Lily. Skimmy is cute!

She must have gotten in from the deck because I saw tiny kitty foot prints across the top. Our steps aren't in right now since I'm still in the process of clearing up the pool, so there was no way out. I'm hoping we don't have any tears in the liner from her trying to get out. If she fell in from the deck side it means she had to go all the way across to get to the skimmer. It's also possible she walked around the top rails and fell in. However it was, I'm so glad I went out there when I did. I almost didn't go out. I have been cleaning this pool for 20 days now and would really enjoy sleeping in until at least 8 one morning. I woke up and said to myself I was going to sleep just a bit longer, but something kept telling me go check the pool NOW. Guess I know why!

8. Back To Top    #8

AWWW sha baby! I'm so glad you rescued her and have decided to keep her. I second Skimmy!!
    10,408 gallon, 21' round, 52 in' deep AG, half in ground
    Artesian Clear Master Plus Sand Filter, Artesian Turbo King 2 hp pump, installed June 08
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    GEAUX TIGERS!
    Pics taken 2012
    http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad25 ... CN0606.jpg
    http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad25 ... CN0607.jpg

9. Back To Top    #9

Great story with a happy ending! But,
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by ROB N
    Great story with a happy ending! But,
    I agree.
    Currently Pooless

Former Pool:Buster Crabbe resin and steel 30'x15' oval 52" ABG pool Pentair sand dollar filter 1.5 Pentair Dynamo pump13,500 gallons

11. Back To Top    #11

...or Lucky?
    20x40 IG Vinyl, 1.5 HP Whisperflo, Sta-Rite System 3 (300) Sq. ft Cart
    Intellichlor IC40 SWCG, 125,000 BTU Pentair heatpump, Polaris 280
    7' IG FG Spa, 2 HP Whisperflo, Pentair Dynamic III Cart (100) Sq. ft

12. Back To Top    #12

Here she is!
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. Back To Top    #13

My sister-in-law had a Manx cat. No tail. She called it Endless.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

14. Back To Top    #14

ANother idea....she was in the skimmer. Name her Puck.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    ANother idea....she was in the skimmer. Name her Puck.

I like that too! Although I've never used pucks.

16. Back To Top    #16

A few years ago when we uncovered our boat from storage we found two kittens in it. One was a little girl and the other a boy. The male kitten had no tail. As a result, they were named, Rascal and Flats.
    24' X 52" AGP - On a concrete slab with 1" Dow blue foam board bottom.
    2Hp 2 speed Waterways pump/Cart. Filter.
    Hard Plumbed 20' away
    Deck 1/3 around pool
    Pool Rover Jr.
    DIY project
    Best Pool Store Quote, "THAT BLEACH WILL DESTROY YOUR LINER."

17. Back To Top    #17

Wish this forum had a "Like" button!
    12' round above ground pool. 3,500 gal. Vinyl liner. Waterway Supreme Hi-Flo 48 frame pump. 1.5 hp. SWG. Sand filter with Zeobrite.

Thanks, members of Trouble Free Pool, for being so friendly and informative!

18. Back To Top    #18

Found a kitten in my skimmer

A couple summers ago I went out back to put trash in our garbage can and kept hearing a faint cry - looked and looked for it - finally crawled up on fence and saw a tiny kitten between my neighbors fence and her garden shed - her back yard was locked and she was gone. It was super hot that morning but even if I scaled the fence I couldn't reach it because of the tight space between the fence and shed. Finally used pool scoop and he crawled in the net - we figure momma cat was moving them and he got left behind. He wasn't very old and vet wasn't sure he would live - same thing fed him with dropper and used heating pad - now he's a spoiled rotten cat!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve
    Deep in the Heart......errrr HEAT of Texas
    20k gallon gunite formal

19. Back To Top    #19

... but something kept telling me go check the pool NOW. Guess I know why!
    I agree - SKIMMER it is !!

You have been CHOSEN !!! It's beyond your locus of control.

Cats CHOOSE those who will cater to their (purr-ceived) needs! SUBMIT !!

We have 2 - Kira and Loosey (try and guess how Loosey got her name ... )
    20,125 gal. (2,690.6 c.f.) In-Ground / Concrete (Gunite) / Pentair Tagelus TA-60-60D Sand Filter / Pentair Whisper Flo Pump Model WF-24 @ 1HP / Hayward Veri-Flo Valve Model 710 / Taylor FAS-DPD K-2006 test kit / Pool School student

20. Back To Top    #20

What a great story! That is one lucky kitty fo sho.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast