Question about light wiring

Miscanthus

LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2009
The idiot who built the pool did not leave enough wire in the niche to allow me to pull the light onto the deck to work on it. Can I replace the whole wire that runs from the light to the junction box that is by the decking without having to replace the fixture?

You should be able to, as long as the back of the niche isn't epoxied and the conduit hasn't crushed. You need to find the junction box where the wire from the light fixture comes up above ground and disconnect the light wire and connect a pulling cord to it, then pull the wire out from the niche, bringing along the pulling cord. Then tie the cord to the wire from the new fixture and pull it through.

JasonLion said:
You should be able to, as long as the back of the niche isn't epoxied and the conduit hasn't crushed. You need to find the junction box where the wire from the light fixture comes up above ground and disconnect the light wire and connect a pulling cord to it, then pull the wire out from the niche, bringing along the pulling cord. Then tie the cord to the wire from the new fixture and pull it through.

Thanks Jason. What I want to do is replace just the wire and not the whole fixture. Is that possible or do I have to have a new fixture?

But you could use the same technique to service the light and then reinstall it. Disconnect the wire at the box, attach the cord, pull the wire out until you can service the light, then pull the wire back and reconnect. Depends on how eager you are to spend $$$ on a new fixture.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.