Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Question about light wiring

1. Back To Top    #1

Question about light wiring

The idiot who built the pool did not leave enough wire in the niche to allow me to pull the light onto the deck to work on it. Can I replace the whole wire that runs from the light to the junction box that is by the decking without having to replace the fixture?
    14,500 gal pool
    Inground
    Plaster
    Intellichlor Salt Generator
    Water Fall

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Question about light wiring

You should be able to, as long as the back of the niche isn't epoxied and the conduit hasn't crushed. You need to find the junction box where the wire from the light fixture comes up above ground and disconnect the light wire and connect a pulling cord to it, then pull the wire out from the niche, bringing along the pulling cord. Then tie the cord to the wire from the new fixture and pull it through.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    You should be able to, as long as the back of the niche isn't epoxied and the conduit hasn't crushed. You need to find the junction box where the wire from the light fixture comes up above ground and disconnect the light wire and connect a pulling cord to it, then pull the wire out from the niche, bringing along the pulling cord. Then tie the cord to the wire from the new fixture and pull it through.
    Thanks Jason. What I want to do is replace just the wire and not the whole fixture. Is that possible or do I have to have a new fixture?
    14,500 gal pool
    Inground
    Plaster
    Water Fall

4. Back To Top    #4

The wire is permanently attached to the fixture, you must replace them together.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks
    14,500 gal pool
    Inground
    Plaster
    Water Fall

6. Back To Top    #6

Make sure you leave the old wire in there to use it to pull the new wire through the conduit.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

7. Back To Top    #7

But you could use the same technique to service the light and then reinstall it. Disconnect the wire at the box, attach the cord, pull the wire out until you can service the light, then pull the wire back and reconnect. Depends on how eager you are to spend $$$ on a new fixture.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.