what are the consequences of not using the filter

michmike

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 11, 2011
Houston, TX, USA
hey all,

i am on vacation and my neighbor is using the pool. Apparently our DE filter pressure went from 10 to 18psi in 2-3 days for no apparent reason. I asked him to stop the pump and put the filter on recirculate.
Since i have an SWG that will pour chlorine into the pool and my neighbor has the test kit to add any other chemicals needed (like muriatic acid for example), what are the consequences of bypassing the filter for extended periods of time (3 weeks for example). I assume algae won't develop b/c the chlorine will keep it in check.

the pool is still crystal clear and all the chemicals are within correct limits.

cheers

filtration is a really important element of pool water management. A day or so if you started with a VERY clean pool would probably do no harm but I think three weeks is asking for trouble and I don't think you are starting with a clean pool.

Pressure rises because of resistance. Your filter is likely collecting stuff like dead algae (which it is supposed to do) My guess is you need to shock your pool but, without accurate test results, that's only a guess.

It's going to get pretty bad in three weeks. I'd be worried about why the pressure rose so quickly. Is there any way you can get the filter backwashed and recharged? Is there any way you can get a set of test results?

To add a desenting opinion:

Every winter, I let my pool sit, uncovered, collecting leaves, and dirt and worms, and these little squiggy creatures who I know not what they are.

About 5 months at least, it sits, with no chemicals added, NO filtration or water cirulation.

I generally get things pretty well cleared up in about a week. It's not easy, but it's also not all that complicated.

I'd say that if you have your water circulating, and your friend keeps the water balanced. I wouldn't foresee any kind of disaster.

You'll come home, get your filter fixed, vacuum out your debris, balance the water, shock the pool, and you should be good in a few days, tops. In fact, I would likely want to do all that anyway.

Now... I would probably advise your friend not to use the pool while it is in that condition.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.