Aftermarket Pump and filter on soft side AGP

sheptr

Jun 14, 2011
North Jersey
Hi!
I have been pouring over this site since my wife came home with an Intex Easy Set 15' x 42" pool kit last week.
Thanks to the community for such great sharing of knowledge and experiences. Priceless!!
Spent a few hours a day after work getting level, and laid down 2" sheath insulation, taped and covered with a
HD tarp before unpacking the pool. As I was filling the pool, it became apparent I was off an inch to 1.5 inches,
across the 15'. Gonna live with it this season as we were in the middle of a few 100 degree days.
I snagged a NIB Intex SWCG on CL and thought I was ready to go. The Intex SWCG advised adding 80lbs of salt to open the
pool, local PS advised starting with 10lbs at a time per every 12 hours, which I have been doing and am at 80lbs now.
Will see if I get the 91 code in the morning, after the letting this last load dissolve and circulate. I fear that the 1000GPH pump
is not strong enough to run the SWCG and keep the pool sparkly, and judging by how much use the pool has gotten already, i can see moving to a frame pool next year, so I was lucky enough to just grab (steal) a new unused Hayward Filtration System on e-bay. It is a "matched" 0.75HP pump with an EC30 filter. After reading some more, it seems I may have gotten too big of a pump, anyone know whether this pool can handle the Hayward system?
I realize I will need to get some adapters to make it fit the 1.25" fittings on my little pool, and wanted to put external valves on the pool anyhow, as it is a pain to pull the return and filter and insert the little magic black plugs. Has anyone done this with a softsided pool? I see the valves on the other Intex pools in some of the photos.

Will a 15' x 42" pool support a Hayward EC30 and Hayward 0.75HP pump?
Has anyone put the bigger hoses/adapters and shut off valves on the soft sided pool? Where did you get the adapters?

Thanks!
Todd

Re: Intex Easy Set Soft Side Questions

There is a lot of info in the Useful Links for Intex pools thread, check it out!

I have been very happy with the BBB system on my blue blob, if the SWCG doesnt work out for you. Perfect water in 2 days with what I learned here last year, gotta bad case of sparkling water!

Thanks OB1. I have been through Pool School at least once a day, and have been through the first 16 pages of Build, Use and Repair, and all the
AGP pages. I am going to try and incorporate BBB with the SWCG. I am grateful for the information I found here at TFP to get me set up and running
as the directions that came with the pool are very broad/general.

Hey shep,

Welcome. Youll be ok with the 1.5 for a season. Not ideal, but it may bug you. If you arent hard sey on the DE, you might consider the Hayward VL 30 Gpm sand. I just added one to mine and all indications are that it will be perfect. Im about to experiment more with adding DE as well. Enjoy the forum.

Thanks Brushpup! I had my eye on 2 different filter&pump combos on e-bay and CL. One was a used sand filter with a waterworks 1.5HP, and then Hayward EC30 w/0.75HP brand new. The Hayward was closer for me to pick up, 10 mins away,
so it won out. Is your pool the inflatabl top like mine? Did you have to change the inlet/outlet adapters? I really think it is
a neccessity to be able to close the return and "skimmer" instead of using he black plugs.
Thanks!

Yeah my pool is the same type Shep, and no the VL has 1.25" stepped up to 1.5" barb fittings. I use the Intex barb fittings on both ports inside the pool for easy hose hookup. I had an extra left over from our last pool. I've thought about cutting in ball valves, but I just use rubber stoppers instead. Not the Intex ones either, I got mine at a lab supply house. Even though it would be minimal, I really dont want to add any flow restriction to my plumbing. Works like a champ. Hope you like the Hayward. My little 13" seems perfect for our 3300 gallons, and I got a box of DE to improve the filtering...very glad I did. It takes so little, this DE ought to last me at least another season or two.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.