Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool not new to pools need some input please

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool not new to pools need some input please

I had a 18' intex metal frame using the intex SWG and ran the generator 3 hours a day maintain a beautiful sparkling pool but now I have a new 33' and I am thinking the intex SWG will be overwhelmed ideas please. I cant justify the god awful prices they want for the other generators 600-1200 bucks. Thanks
    33' mirage 28800 gal. AG
    26" sand filter 1.5 hp pump salt water system

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool not new to pools need some input please

Welcome to TFP!

None of the other manufacturers seem to be able to get anywhere close to the pricing Intex offers. The mid-sized or larger CompuPool will work, but as you say that is over $600, and everything else is more than that.

If you have one of the older Intex units, without copper, there is some chance that it might keep up on all but the hottest days assuming the chemistry is well balanced. If you have one of the newer Intex units with copper there is no way it will be able to keep up.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

What do you mean without copper? all mine has are titanium plates I was thinking of getting one of the chlorease ultras to supplement chlorine production. I know the intex unit only had to run 3 hours a day to keep 3 ppm in the pool on the 18 foot so I got my fingers crossed
    33' mirage 28800 gal. AG

4. Back To Top    #4

Oh and thank you for the welcome my manners are lacking I was kind of centered on the issue this is an awful big pool for me and is kind of daunting on the scale of everything
    33' mirage 28800 gal. AG

5. Back To Top    #5

The older Intex units produced before last year - the output was stronger and they could produce enough FC to work in the larger pool. The newer units don't produce as much and they are combined with a copper ionization system in them. Most of the units produced/sold since last year are the new version. Very hard to find the older one. If you already have one that is older than 2010 its probably the original version but not sure how long it will last you? I'd go ahead and install it and give it a go, but I would make sure you have a proper test kit that we recommend (if you don't already) and maintain your water balance accordingly:
    Water Balance for SWCGs
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

6. Back To Top    #6

Ok thanks I have one of the older units and will look around for another one I cleaned it real good at the end of the season last year and it looked like new so I will keep my fingers crossed. I don't want the copper ionizer the more I read about it. Copper is a poison to all living creatures and I really dont want to swim in it.
    33' mirage 28800 gal. AG

7. Back To Top    #7

Do you think I can run 2 intex units in series to produce the chlorine I need?
    33' mirage 28800 gal. AG

8. Back To Top    #8

Running two is certainly an option, but you should plumb them in parrallel, not in series. Try the one 1st, I'm guessing it will make enough chlorine if you are willing to run it 8-12hrs/day with CYA at around 70ppm. Shoot for an FC target of 5+ with CYA at 70.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

9. Back To Top    #9

I was thinking parallel also but they have a low limit on flow and it would be hard to flow balance them I would think. I wonder if I could disable the copper anodes?
    33' mirage 28800 gal. AG