Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What's the best low-cost solution?

1. Back To Top    #1

What's the best low-cost solution?

I have the pool listed in my sig. It came with a vacuum hose, a pole and some nets, and that's about it. I have a fair amount of dead algae to get off the floor and would like to be able to vacuum it up. I can spend some money, just not a gazillion dollars on a Mr. Roboto. Please advise what I might be able to do with a pump and filter solution. I would like to maybe get a vacuum head but does that mean the water flies out to waste when I'm running it?

Alternative suggestions welcome. Thanks!!
    * 18' x 33' - 48" oval AGP - new liner Summer 2014
    * Hayward Pro Series S210T Top Mount Sand Filter
    * Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 1 1/2 hp Pump Model SP5615
    (equipment on posts prior to summer 2014) Hayward PowerFlo 1 hp pump - Jacuzzi "Tidewater" 190L, sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What's the best low-cost solution?

I'd sure try the inexpensive vacuum head first. You can always use one any way. Just vacuum in normal filter position and then backwash.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3

I'd do what Woody suggests. Just vacuum to filter then backwash it out good. I always vacuum to filter, it wastes too much water vacuuming to waste. The only time I vacuum to waste is after one of our torrential rains and I need to dump the water anyway.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks both. I checked out a couple of youtubes about the steps for sending to filter. Apparently it's the most traditional of approaches - duh, you gotta learn at some point! I thnk I was just concerned that the filter was strictly designed for light cleaning. I'll keep an eye on the pressure guage.

Do I need to rinse after backwash? I have a feeling that, at first, I will be repeating the cleaning phase many times to get the initial debris out.
    (equipment on posts prior to summer 2014) Hayward PowerFlo 1 hp pump - Jacuzzi "Tidewater" 190L, sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Yep, rinse every time after a backwash.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

So how's Daisy doing? LOL
    No advice here because we are looking for a cleaner too but, I LOVE ONSLOW!! Ha, still one of our family's all time fave shows and characters
    21x40 - 28000 gal Kidney w/swimout, bench, Aqua Comfort Heat Pump, AquaRite Plus SWG, LED, White plaster/blue tiling, Cartridge Filter, 1hp pump, Polaris 380

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by maggiem
    I LOVE ONSLOW!! Ha, still one of our family's all time fave shows and characters
    Oh, nice!

8. Back To Top    #8

I bought a cheap vacuum head at Lowes, along with the hose, and found a sink tailpiece that works to couple the hose directly to my suction port in the bottom of the skimmer. It's worked fine for a year.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

yea, but if its algae, you likely gonna throw the filter out after one time, and algae will clog almost instantly. i'm using a poolbuster to try to get algae off the bottom, bag is clogged in 30 secs, rinse and repeat.

I put a brand new filter in just filtering and it clogged in less than 6 hours.
    8000 gal diamond brite pool with 650 gal spillover spa, Pentair 3hp VS pump. Jandy Cartridge filter and Jandy Heat Pump. Jandy PDA automation system with 2 Pentair Laminars. SmartPool NC74S Robotic Pool Cleaner.

10. Back To Top    #10

You can get a cheap robot or even a Pool Blaster so that your filter isn't affected.