Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: wood for deck????

1. Back To Top    #1

Central Illinois

wood for deck????

We are planning on getting a deck installed for our pool fairly soon... we looked into getting TREX but the quote on materials alone (not including fastners, concrete, or labor) was near $18,000 Waaaayyyy out of our budget!!!!!! So we are looking into a smaller wood deck. The size will be 4 feet on both curved edges and 10 feet on one long side, with steps down the whole length of long side. on the curved side the deck will go to the post past the center post of curved side (hopefully that makes sense) so there will be no deck on the other long side of pool, which works out cause thats where the pump and heater are located. The contractor priced Cedar at approximately $8,000 labor included (will have a definate number in the next few days) Does that sound reasonable? Is Cedar a good wood for around the pool? I know staining/sealing is going to be a pain in the a** probably. Would it be best to do that before/after it is closed for the winter so it won't get in pool? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
    15x30x54 AquaLeader Sentinelle AGP
    2 HP 2 Speed Hayward SwimPro Voyager Pump
    Hayward SwimPro Voyager 150 sq. ft. Filter
    Hayward H series millivolt 150 btu Heater

2. Back To Top    #2
    Waaay NW MN

Re: wood for deck????

I've heard good things about cedar. There are also some other materials like the exotic woods that are said to be really great alternatives around pools. We used UltrDeck composite since we did not want to deal with rot issues or annual maintenance. It was a much more reasonably priced composite material than Trex. It looks like wood but has the composite maintenance free benefit. We have had it for several years now with no complaints
    18x33x52 Buttressfree Seaspray (Wilbar) AGP - 1.5hp Pentair Maxim w/22" Pentair Meteor Sand Filter, Aqua Rite SWG System, Biltmore Walk In Steps - 2/4x20 Solar Panel Setup - Doheny Jet Drive (RIP -Pool Rover Jr) - finally hard plumbed the whole darned thing -
    Beats Driving to the Lake!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Columbus, GA

Re: wood for deck????

Our old house had a deck on the back of it made of cedar. I think the deck was around 12 years old. It still looked good. It was exposed to a lot of humidity and rain. We just had to paint it a few times. I think you could get cedar sealed to help it hold up against the wear and tear from the water. good luck. I know it terrible how expensive the material is but its worth it in the end.
    5,061 Gallon 16' x 48" Intex Metal Frame Pool
    14" Intex 55Ib Sand Filter and Pump.
    Location: Columbus, GA Where the Heat and the humidity are* :)