Algae despite chlorine level of 1.5

Sep 12, 2010
Hi all, I've been here a while off and on and I've been using store bought bleach to keep my FC levels around 1-1.5 for a couple months now. I did my initial tests with my TF-100 kit and several follow up tests since then. But I've not tested anything but chlorine levels for about a month. SO......I notice this algae starting to develop in the small pits inside my plaster, it's getting harder and harder to keep away. I decide to check things and it turns out my PH is high. Around 8, maybe even like 8.1. Chlorine levels have been steady and I've even raised my FC levels to around 8 once in the last month just for the kicks while the family was out of town. I don't understand how the algae could be forming if my chlorine is in check. Is it the PH that is causing my problems?

My Total Alkalinity is 100-110 level according to TF-100. It is within range and does not need to be adjusted according to the instructions. But the PH is getting high and must be lowered. If I lower it, can I expect this algae problem to go away? Of course all the people that I talk to IRL are recommending algaecide etc. But I know better. I know you guys can help me. What else do you need to know from me to solve this?

Also, how long will it take to solve? I have a bunch of people coming over 3 evenings from now. It would be nice to have this cleared up by then, but that is wishful thinking I'm sure. I'd scrub most of it out and make sure my chem levels were safe before then of course.

BTW I've never added any Borax to the pool. I'm reading about Borates in pool school right now and wondering if I should be using it. Yes?

pH is too high, but that doesn't cause algae. It needs to get fixed.

Your FC is low, even for a pool with no CYA in the water. And I'll bet you have CYA (aka stabilizer or conditioner) in your water.

Your condition is probably the most common thing we see that drives people to the internet for pool answers - High CYA. If you've been feeding it with pucks in a floater, or using powdered "shock", it's almost a certainty. I'd bet heavily on that one, with odds!

You really need to post a full set of test results. A full set of results will tell us and you if you need to do a partial drain or not. No point adjusting pH if you end up pumping half of it out.
file.php

Thanks Dman, CYA was indeed elevated. Ended up going to 40 according to my test results chart. So.....my FC levels stay around 1.5 or so. You are suggesting 3-4, but I'm confused. Isn't that unsafe for swimming?

No. Your tap water is probably 1 ppm, maybe even more, and you drink that!

The CYA buffers it; it's a chemistry term that I learned in college chemitry a long time ago, so I'm not able to explain it. But 4 ppm with CYA 40 is safer to swim in than 1.5; your level is too low to kill algae, let alone bacteria or viruses!

Wow, so where in the heck did I read that FC levels should remain between 1 and 2? Am I going mad? I swear that is what I read a while back on a test kit that my dad was using for his pool. So at what FC level does it become unsafe?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.