Hi all, I've been here a while off and on and I've been using store bought bleach to keep my FC levels around 1-1.5 for a couple months now. I did my initial tests with my TF-100 kit and several follow up tests since then. But I've not tested anything but chlorine levels for about a month. SO......I notice this algae starting to develop in the small pits inside my plaster, it's getting harder and harder to keep away. I decide to check things and it turns out my PH is high. Around 8, maybe even like 8.1. Chlorine levels have been steady and I've even raised my FC levels to around 8 once in the last month just for the kicks while the family was out of town. I don't understand how the algae could be forming if my chlorine is in check. Is it the PH that is causing my problems?
My Total Alkalinity is 100-110 level according to TF-100. It is within range and does not need to be adjusted according to the instructions. But the PH is getting high and must be lowered. If I lower it, can I expect this algae problem to go away? Of course all the people that I talk to IRL are recommending algaecide etc. But I know better. I know you guys can help me. What else do you need to know from me to solve this?
Also, how long will it take to solve? I have a bunch of people coming over 3 evenings from now. It would be nice to have this cleared up by then, but that is wishful thinking I'm sure. I'd scrub most of it out and make sure my chem levels were safe before then of course.
BTW I've never added any Borax to the pool. I'm reading about Borates in pool school right now and wondering if I should be using it. Yes?