How do YOU clean your pleated filter cartridges?

usafssk

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 6, 2011
Mississippi Gulf Coast
I am looking for a more efficient way to clean my filter cartridges. I have the type cartridge that has what appears to be a PVC pipe center, drilled full of holes, which prevents me from spraying from the inside~out. That leaves me with trying to wash from the top down, on the outside, eventually forcing some tiny debris into the inner side of the filter element.

I've got granulated "filter wash" acid, that I'm hesitant to use as directed (put in a trash bag, add water, put filter in, shake,.. yeah right). I've seen the liquid acid wash in the spray bottle that you spray onto the filter, let it set, then rinse off. Spraying atomized acid for me to get in my eyes/nose/throat/lungs.... again, yeah right.

At $80 each, I don't see myself constantly buying new filters. I've got two now, one to swap in when I take one out to clean.

Time to find a better way. What say ye?

You don't want to use an acid cleaner unless there is calcium scaling on the filter, and even then you should do the overnight soak I describe below before using acid. 95% of the time the best thing is a hose spray. For deeper cleaning once in a while you can spray normally, then soak the cartridge overnight in a mixture of one cup of automatic dish washing detergent for every five gallons of water, then spray again to remove all the soap, and replace in the filter.

I use a waterwand to get out most of the dirt and flies. Then soak in a special canister for filters I bought online. Then rince again, let it dry and swap with my other filter when nessicary.
I didn't have a normal nozzle for gardenhose, otherwise I might not have bought the wand. However, it does the trick, although sometimes it's difficult to reach every fold. That's when I use my finger (with a plastic glove). Just been doing this for 1 month, but so far I like it :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.